Chapter 2

Seth's POV

I knew Bogey was upset with me. He wouldn't stray far from me, always poked and prodded. He asked me questions, some I didn't know the answer to. Some I didn't want to answer.

I thought and frowned. My long fingers ached as I scratched away at the floorboards. A nervous tick I had grown to know well. Sawdust piled up under my long fingernail. I looked up and saw the sunlight seep through the window. I was safe, away in the shadows of the corner.

"Alex, mom is gone. I'm in charge." A tall, slender girl entered the room, her caramel brown hair brushing her shoulders. She was dressed in a maroon t-shirt, that hung low, her tan skin peeking out. Her blue eyes lightened up the room and I shrank back.

"Yeah right! Why does mom think you're so responsible anyway?" A shorter boy entered the room, thick glasses covering his large, luminescent eyes.

"Shut up Marty," the girl punched him in the arm.

The both of them looked down at the small child on the floor. He peeked up at them, his blonde hair flopping onto his forehead. He smiled and picked up a toy car.

"Look Veronica!" The girl looked down at the boy, now wrapping her arms around him. Although he was tall, the boy's head only reached halfway up her thighs.

Alex. I rolled the name around on my tongue, testing it out. A-l-e-x. The perfect ring.

The three children stood together, the perfect sight.

* * *

"How did it go?" The woman entered the house, golden locks of hair shining. She went and hugged the two older children.

"Great. Alex got a bath and is in his pajamas. As for this little brat-" The girl stopped and smiled down at her brother.

"Whatever," The boy laughed.

"Marty, did you do your homework?" The woman looked at him obviously amused. The boy blushed and shook his head. "Then get to it." She called as he ran up the stairs.

I sat in the corner capturing every word, replaying it in my mind.

"I'm so glad we can start a new life in this home," the woman took a deep breath and rested her crystal eyes on her daughter. He voice was so familiar. I took comfort in its warmness.

"Yeah, I am to. Don't get too excited though. I'm moving in with Chris in a few months." The girl replied, sadness filling her voice.

"Well I'll treasure every moment I have with you now."

The words hit me like a fist I wasn't expecting. I shook my head and disappeared, just as the two women rounded the corner, where I sat.

* * *

Coughing filled my ears and stopped, only to continue. Once he gained his breath, he spoke.

"Why didn't you stay?" Bogey thought about his words carefully, trying to control his coughing.

I never understood why he coughed. It all seemed so clear now.

I shrugged my shoulders, looking away. I watched my foot tap the floor, the black leather shoe surrounding it.

"Seth-" His voice was low and annoyance laced it.

"I just didn't want to. It's fine. I'm fine. Besides I have something up my sleeve," I cut him off, searching for any lie to end the conversation.

"And what would that be?" He smirked, catching me red handed in my bluff. "You realize Seth, I have been doing this for," he thought to himself before speaking, "For a few centuries. I know when someone has something up their sleeve. I know why they leave and where they go. I know you are lying."

My face went beet red. All I could feel was the heat of my face, Bogey's eyes boring holes into my back.

I could tell it was a small victory for him. He knew I wouldn't disobey again. He had cornered me and I had no other choice than to surrender. He was right. I was lying. Although I wasn't quite sure why, I couldn't stop lying.

My whole life is now a lie. Everything I say is a lie. I barely grasp the idea of what truth is. It aches. It pounds at my chest, yet I deny it. All for the man I am bound to.

*  *  *

The child's plump tears fell down his face rapidly. His cheeks were glossed over with a pink pigment and his cries were pitiful.

A smile tugged at my lips, yet pain hid itself in the pit of my stomach.

I scratched at the wall violently. His crying grew louder and he tugged at his yellow bedding, tucking his chin under the soft fabric.

I stopped scratching and looked at the child in humor. Now this, this is fun. I laugh to myself, appearing by the headboard of his bed. I lay my hands on his tiny shoulders and he looks up to me, terror filling his soft eyes. Such round, beautiful eyes.

"Mommy!" His cries morph into words. His voice is raw and it rings through the house. He turns to look at me and is left with nothing. He scans the room, too scared and hesitant to look under his bed. I smirk as his mother flies into to room, her hair messy from sleep.

She sits on his bed and takes his face in her palms. "What's wrong, sweetie?" Her voice was filled with worry.

Her husband sat in the doorway, obviously startled awake after his wife leaped out of bed.

"I saw a monster, mommy," The young boy's voice was made of sobs, almost a complete whine.

The woman looked up to her husband then down at her son. "I-um, I'm sure it was nothing baby." She smiles, reassuring the child who nods and slides under his covers. Just inches from my grasp.

"Ok, mommy."

Hey guys! So these first few chapters will kind of suck just because I'm getting use to the new book and it's hard to write and not spoil everything. That's all I have to say except thank you all for the support. Love ya!