A Girl Who Lives Dreadfully

In my country, when you have traveled around the sun eighteen times, you must make a life-changing decision. You either have to leave the country forever and never return or stay in this country and never leave. Of course you have to weigh in what your family wants, what your friends are doing,and obviously what your heart longs to do. Some who make the wrong choice live a life of misery. They are unable to see their family, unable to see their friends, and unable to become themselves. They are scared in a way we can only imagine. I picture this fear like a world in which sharks swim in the forest and you have been stranded in the woods.
    The reason I worry so much and so often about this is a mystery to me. I am only thirteen and have exactly five years left until my choice is to be made. I still hope that in those five years some law is created to stop this terrible event all together. My name is Lavender, just in case you cared enough to know. Most people don't even bother to ask these days. As you have probably figured out, today is my birthday. Birthdays in my country are a curse, not a celebration.
"Another year gone," they say.
So far today I have done nothing but sit in my room ashamed. Oh how I wish I had something to do.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••