Chapter 9

Tim looked up as Brad came walking down the corridor. Even though he knew who he was, he had to stop him.

"I'm sorry Dr. Pitt, I need to check your I.D." Tim said.

Brad nodded, "I heard." He handed over his hospital I.D. for Tim to check.

"It's not bad news is it?" Tim asked, worried for his friend as Brad took his I.D. back."

Brad smiled and opened the door, not replying to Tim's question.

Tony looked up as the door opened. "Brad?"

Giving Tony a comforting smile, Brad gestured for his friend to sit back down. "Hey Tony." He pulled up a chair and sat facing him.

Tony's face fell, "it's bad news, isn't it?" He asked.

Brad shook his head. "Actually, this kid has inherited your luck. His brain is bruised, as was most of him when he arrived here, but there is no permanent damage that we can detect. I'm willing to dial back on the sedatives and allow him to wake up naturally."

Tony grinned, "He's gonna be ok?" He blinked a few times to hold back unexpected tears, "Thank you." He held his hand out and Brad took it, but instead of shaking his hand he pulled him into a hug.

Brad patted him on the back, "He's going to be ok Tony. Now you get some rest and something to eat, I don't want to see you in here as a patient." He stood up and walked to the door. Opening it, he turned to Tim, "Agent McGee, you make sure my star patient here gets some rest."

Tim nodded and checking the hallway went into the room as Brad left.

"How is he Tony?" He asked.

"He's going to be ok. Just bruising, no major damage. Has Gibbs called with any news on who did this to him?" Tony asked.

Tim shook his head, "I haven't heard anything." He replied.

Tony gripped Tonio's hand as if willing his son to wake up. "I wanna know who did this. They're gonna pay." He vowed.

Tim shuddered at the tone Tony was using, it was cold, callous and cruel and not at all like his friend.

"But if it's Mafia Tony...?"

"Who said it was Mafia!" Tony snapped.

Tim stepped back as if slapped. "You said to Gibbs that it could have been Mafia related. Why? You think your son was involved with the Mafia?"

Tony shook his head, "I... I don't know, Maria would've never... But..." he stopped as he buried his head in his hands. "There's a lot you don't know Tim. A lot I can't tell you."

Tim took the seat that Brad Pitt had recently vacated. "Tony the more you tell me, the greater chance we have of catching whoever did this to your son." He said in the same tone of voice he used when he was interviewing a witness.

"I know that Tim." Tony sighed. "But there's more involved than you know. I need to make some calls first."

Tim gave a half smile and nodded, "I'll wait outside. Call me when and if you are ready to talk."

Two hours later Tim looked up to see Gibbs, Fornell and Agent Balboa walking down the corridor.

"Boss?" Tim looked surprised and worried as he had arrived with Fornell.

Gibbs nodded to Balboa who took Tim's place by the door. "Wait there Tim." Gibbs said as he knocked and walked into the hospital room.

"How is he?" Gibbs asked.

"Still sleeping, they say it will be a few more hours before he shows signs of waking up." Tony replied.

Gibbs smiled slightly, "Ok then. Got Balboa on guard duty, you ready to face the music?"