And So It Begins

The rest of the Order turned to see what Jesse was looking at. They stared into the distance, seeing the same terrifying sight that she was.

No one spoke for a moment. Then Petra broke the silence, saying one of the things that they were all thinking.

"What the hell?! Is that...the Fire?" the redheaded warrior asked, already knowing the answer.

"Must be." Olivia answered, unsuccessfully trying to keep the fear out of her voice.

"Gabriel must have been right about those powers. To light the whole horizon on fire..." Lukas mused. "I just wonder why he did it."

"To gloat, probably. He knows that we know Gabriel is...you know." Axel said, trailing off awkwardly.

"Dead. He's dead." Jesse finished. "The Fire is trying to scare us. He knows we can see his flames, and he's showing off. He's playing cat-and-mouse, in a way. And I'm not gonna be the mouse." she said sharply, turning away.

"We have a mission now. And I, for one, will do anything to stop this 'Fire'. I don't care what I have to do." Jesse's eyes were ablaze with a new light. The light of vengeance and fury.

"With you all the way. That person is so dead." Petra said, already relishing the idea of a new fight.

"Same here." "Right behind you." "Let's do this!" The other three Order members chimed.

"Right. Let's split up and gather supplies for the quest, then meet in the treasure room in an hour and a half." Jesse said.

"We should probably call a town meeting, to let people know what's going on and why we're leaving." Olivia pointed out.

"Good idea." Jesse said, nodding at the young Redstone engineer.

The five of them walked the rest of the way to town, then went their separate ways.

*timeskip because unnecessary details*

Jesse walked into the treasure room, a few minutes before her friends would show up. She went up to the dais where the amulet was displayed.

She picked it up, thoughts swirling through her mind. There had always been something mysterious about the amulet. They had never found out where it had come from, or how it could track members of the original Order.

In a way, she wasn't very surprised that it had special powers. But she wished she knew what those powers were.

Something tapped her shoulder, making her jump. She whirled around, ready to attack.

Petra grinned at her. "Got you!" Jesse rolled her eyes, but she couldn't suppress a small smile. "I figured we might want these," Petra said. She pulled out a few glass bottles filled with a dark orange liquid. "It's a special fire resistance potion. Lasts for about a month."

Olivia also walked into the treasure room before Jesse could respond. "We've got a crowd gathering in the middle of town. They're waiting for you."

"Okay." Jesse said. She had spent most of the time trying to figure out what to say. How could she possibly explain this lightly?

Olivia put a hand on Jesse's shoulder. "We'll be right there with you if you need backup."

She nodded gratefully, and the three girls left the treasure room. There was a large crowd gathered outside. Jesse took a deep breath and stepped up onto the platform facing the crowd.

"There's a new threat to this world. Another foe has risen against us. He's known as the Fire, and...and he's trying to burn down the world."

Murmurs and nervous glances from the crowd.

"You've noticed the flames on the horizon, right? He did that. And...he..." Jesse couldn't continue.

"He killed Gabriel the Warrior." Olivia finished. "And we're going to stop him before he does any more damage."

The murmurs grew slightly louder, and more worried.

Jesse found that she could speak again. "We are going to take him down. No one messes with us and gets away with it. We will avenge Gabriel, and stop this arsonist in his tracks."

"We don't know exactly when we'll be back, but we will return. The Fire might be trying to prove himself by killing the old heroes, but it'll take more then that to take us down." Petra added. Jesse was glad she had said that. It added a little more morale to the otherwise grim speech.

Jesse explained what little they knew about the Fire and the amulet, and then the crowd slowly dispersed. The New Order set off, heading to the temple in the jungle.

*Timeskip brought to you by Aiden's need for a climax*

It seemed like it had been years since they had been in that temple. It hadn't actually been that long, but it sure felt like it.

"Up there." Jesse said, pointing to the hole in the ceiling. They climbed up the vines, entering the hidden attic. They were surprised to see that the portal to Sky City was still lit.

"Well? What are we waiting for? Let's go find a trio of jerks." Petra said, and went through the portal without another word. Lukas followed her, then Jesse, then Axel and Olivia.

The New Order landed on the small island, almost pushing each other off. They had to rebuild part of their path to the ruins of Sky City, because part of their walkway had been blown up by a ghast.

Sky City was silent. There were a few spiders here and there, but it seemed like most of the monsters had despawned. Axel and Olivia stared around with wide eyes, wondering at the unique architecture and the precious resources.

Jesse lead the way to the waterfalls that would take them down safely. "Let's get out of here. This place is creepy as hell." she commented.

Lukas and Olivia nodded their agreement. Petra just shrugged. She didn't mind creepy things.

The five of them waded into the water, then dropped off the edge, plummeting down to the lake below. They could see houses and other buildings below, meaning that the people from Sky City had begun to create a new life for themselves.

They landed in the water with five consecutive splashes, immediately attracting attention. People gathered around, and Jesse heard whispers of "newcomers", "who are they", "I recognize her" and more.

She had gotten to the edge of the water when a hand reached out and grabbed her, lifting her up by the front of her armor.

Jesse looked up into a pair of sharp, angry, pale green eyes.

Aiden.

This may not end well.

---------------------
This chapter was actually kinda short. And practically nothing happened...

Oh well. At least I updated it, right?

And now this is the part where me and the other Blaze Rods show up, aka when things start getting chaotic.

So what do you think of the story so far? I know it's a little early to be asking that, since it's only 3 chapters long, but I want to know your opinions.

And I forgot to mention: Cover art by FayeofThunder

Next chapter coming soon.