Chapter Twelve

I hardly saw Tom the whole next week. Or even the week after that. Though I continued to help Mai until her assistant returned, she put me in charge of Megan's hair and makeup. Of course, I thanked her profusely. I wasn't ready to talk to Tom and apparently he wasn't ready to face me either. A couple times, we saw each other on set, but one of us would eventually look away and walk in any other direction. It didn't matter where, just so we didn't have to talk to each other. His problem, I didn't understand. I mean, it was totally fair for me to be angry with him, right? He's the one who pushed me away when I tried to bring up the kissing incident. But why should he be avoiding me? Of course, he wasn't ignoring me completely. He sent me a text every night wishing me sweet dreams. I never responded.

We were on location this week at Santa Monica Beach near the pier and I couldn't have asked for a lovelier place to take my lunch. Magically, we were way ahead of schedule and the AD allowed us all a two hour lunch. I grabbed a slice of pizza from a stand on the pier, and went back down to dip my feet in the water while I ate. The pizza was covered in grease; in other words, it was delicious. I was almost done eating when my phone started buzzing in my pocket. Frantically, I searched for a place to set my pizza, and ultimately chose my legs over the sand. I don't know why it was a hard decision for me, my brain just seems to stop working when my phone rings, probably because it's a rare occurance and I can't think about anything else. The number was one I didn't recognize.

"Hello?"

"Friday, hi! This is Brad, from the coffee shop."

I had almost forgotten about Brad. Three weeks had passed since we met. Why was he calling me now?

"Oh, um... hi. How are you?"

"Great! I was uh... just calling to see how you were and ask if you maybe wanted to get a drink sometime?"

"Um..." I looked over my shoulder towards the trailers and saw Tom talking to the director. A woman came up to him and he casually wrapped his arm around her while he continued his conversation. "Yeah. Why not?"

"Great! How does Saturday at 8:00 sound? I can text you the address and we'll meet there?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Wonderful. And Friday?"

"Yes, Brad?"

"I can't wait to see you."

His words should've made my stomach flip. Isn't that how this whole thing is supposed to work? When you're asked out on a date, aren't you supposed to be thrilled? I tried to smile so Brad could hear it in my voice, even though I didn't mean it. "I can't wait to see you either. Goodbye."

I dropped my phone in the sand next to me and fell backwards. With one hand, I shaded my eyes from the sun, with the other, I grabbed my pizza and continued eating nonchalantly.

"You're going to get sausage in your eye."

I almost choked. I didn't know he was standing right behind me. "Excuse me?"

"I've never seen anyone eat pizza like that. It's intriguing." Tom sat down beside me.

"Shut up." I remained on the sand and tried to take another bite of pizza, but his comment made me lose my appetite.

"So, how have you been? We haven't talked in awhile."

"Oh, so you want to talk now, huh?" I sat up and offered him the slice of pepperoni. "Do you want this? I'm not hungry anymore."

He grabbed the pizza from my hand and took a bite like it was no big deal. I'd realized that's what we had become in the short amount of time we'd known each other; no big deal. "I deserved that," he said through a mouthful of crust. "But you know, you could've tried speaking with me again."

Is he serious? "How, exactly? Every time I saw you you would run away."

"As I recall, you ran away from me too. You can't put this all on me, Friday."

I hated admitting it, even to myself, but he was right. We were both being stupid. I started picking up sand and running it through my fingers. "You're right. Why are you always right?" I muttered.

Tom smiled, mouth stuffed with pizza. "I can't help it," he shrugged. I stole what was left of my pizza back and popped it in my mouth. "Hey! I was eating that!" I just shrugged. He lightly shoved me with his shoulder. "You owe me."

"That was my pizza in the first place!"

"Yes, but then you gave it to me!"

I rolled my eyes and swatted his shoulder. He caught my hand and held it in his as we sat in a moment of content silence.

"I'm sorry... for what happened." He began to trace his thumb over my knuckles. "It was very unprofessional and it won't happen again. It can't happen again."

I looked at him and waited until he tore his eyes from the water to look back at me. "I'm sorry too."

We sat there for the rest of our lunch break talking about everything that popped into our heads; what crazy things had happened on set, what stupid things Jake had tried to threaten me with, and we even discussed our favorite ice cream. I even dared to ask him who the woman was that he had his arm wrapped around earlier. He told me she was one of his sister's oldest friends who was in LA for the week on a business trip. Apparently she heard Tom was in the area and came by to have a chat. I felt so comfortable. Being with Tom was like being with an old friend, except deep down I knew I wanted to be more than just friends with him.

I heard someone approaching behind us and took my hand out from under Tom's. "Hey, love birds! Time to get back to work." I froze, but Tom just laughed.

"We'll be there in a minute, Bill."

Love birds? Bill was definitely going to get a talking to.

AN: Hey, everyone! Thank you so much for reading this story. I really hope you're enjoying it! If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And if anything has made you smile, or made your heart flutter even the tiniest amount, please click that little star button! Thanks! :) -- Megan