Chapter Fifteen

The next morning found the entire cast and crew waiting around set for the producers to start what was deemed, "An Emergency Mandatory Meeting." Of course, that set the rumors ablaze and they spread like wildfire.

"I heard she's actually going to try and sue the studio," Mai whispered to me while we waited. That was rumor number twelve that she had told me so far, but I couldn't be too sure; I had been searching for Tom since I got into work that morning with no sign. He must've still been in his trailer. Ha! So much for mandatory.

"That's what I heard too!" Mai's assistant Sara limped over to us. "And I heard she wants to sue the director and producers individually!"

"That can't be legal," Mai responded.

Just then, Bill and Amanda walked in, followed by three other people I didn't know and the director. After a few seconds, Tom walked in behind them and made his way over to stand beside me.

Bill's voice rang out in front of the curious crowd, "As I'm sure most of you have already guessed, Megan Boone will not be part of this production anymore. The studio is working on the legalities of her contract, but unfortunately I cannot give you anymore information at this time."

I glanced at Tom, trying not to let anyone see. The bump under his eye had turned the color of a rotten potato overnight. "How are you feeling?" I whispered.

He smiled. "You know, I've been better."

Bill continued his short speech that seemed to be a dry run for a press conference I was sure he would be required to hold later that afternoon. "Meanwhile, we will continue to shoot what we can shoot until we find a replacement actress, and we'll check to see if anything we've shot with Megan can be used somehow. The schedule will be reworked and we will be shooting as many scenes with non-essential characters as we can. If we finish all of those scenes before we find a replacement... well. Let's hope that doesn't happen, eh?" A few people in the crowd nervously chuckled. "Alright, Amanda will be handing out a rough schedule. Pick one up and get to work!"

The crowd dispersed, some people opting to pick up a schedule right away, and others deciding to come back for it later. Noticing the line before Amanda, I stayed put and turned to chat with Tom.

"Well, let's go!" His hand shot out and grabbed mine and he dragged me away before I could even comprehend what was going on. This whole thing had become a habit it seemed.

"Where are we-"

"Bill!" Tom called. The producer stopped in his tracks and smiled like he was hiding something.

"Ah! Making her work already, I see. Good for you, Tom, good for you. You know, this might just be the first day of honest work for her!" Bill laughed at his dig, but I was too confused to think of a comeback.

I looked from Bill to Tom and back again. "What's going on? What are you talking about?"

"Look, Friday," Bill said, "I know that you're technically a PA, and just know you can quit at any time. But remember I do have the power to let you go."

Okay, no help there. "Tom?" I looked up at his unusually smug face, praying he would give me a straight answer as to what was going on.

He squeezed my hand that I had forgotten he was holding. "You're going to be working with me now." Still not much help. I whipped my head back to Bill, giving it one last try.

"You're going to be Norah's stand-in. If we get that far, of course. You're the right height, you have the right hair and body-type... Friday, right now, you're all we've got." The room started spinning and I had to step back to stop myself from falling over. I hated being on camera. This was definitely not what I wanted to do with my life. "You'll have to learn some lines, of course. Just so shooting goes smoothly and we don't have someone off-screen reading Norah's parts. It'll be easier for the actors that way. Tom here volunteered to help you out." Bill gave Tom a knowing smile. "You'll be in good hands." And with a strong pat on the back, he walked away.