Chapter 18

The next few weeks were a flurry of chaos, and only left Eve more confused. After telling her friend about the abortion, Lilith had refused to speak more on the subject of her affair with the guard outside Eve's room. She respected Lilith's wishes, however despite her curiosity. It wasn't her place to pry.

As Eve headed to the breakfast room in the castle one morning, Kieran came out from an alcove nearby and began walking in step with her. At first, she ignored him. But he, on the other hand, had forgotten all that had occurred in the garden that night. He wouldn't even know why she was offended if he remembered, anyway.

"Lady Eve," he greeted her formally.

She didn't respond, and turned down the next corridor. He caught up with her again easily.

"Eve!" He said louder, touching her arm.

She stopped and turned abruptly to face him, her annoyance piquing like a mountain range.

"What?!" She demanded, with obvious bitterness in her voice.

He didn't notice. Kieran was too immersed in his conversation with the King the other week. But how could she possibly know that? All Eve had experienced had been Kieran avoiding her these past weeks. Although she was glad of it at first, eventually enough was enough.

"We are to gather in the training room after breakfast-," he instructed, and Eve rolled her eyes.

"Let me guess," she interrupted. "You want to teach me how to woo a gentleman with a fan and poison his wine or something equally flowery."

Kieran sighed, throwing his arms up in defeat, and slowing his pace down so Eve overtook him on her way to the breakfast room. He had noticed her anger, but it wasn't his job to please her. The King had made that very clear after Evelynn had spotted them together. Becoming melancholic over the fact he couldn't have what normal Princes were entitled to was a flaw he had yet to erase. But this time, he would have to remove his attraction to Eve and focus on her training, for both of them.

Otherwise, she'd die.

"You'll see soon enough," he told her grimly, with a cold flash in his eyes.

Eve left him standing there as she walked away, regretting her attitude and yet, standing by it. She continued to feel torn as she finally entered the breakfast hall, and grabbed herself some bread and jam.

It was a small room, reserved for members of the royal house and permanent residents. Typical silver platters lined the table in front of Eve as she picked where to sit down, and a glass chandelier reflected down onto her. However, it was the soft light streaming in through the windows on the left hand side of the room that made the aesthetics that more appealing.

As Eve sat herself down, Beth, the stout kitchen lady, came over to her. She had short brown hair tied back into a messy ponytail, and grey-blue eyes.

"How's it going, Eve? You look well this morning." She smiled, revealing dimples on her cheeks.

Eve returned her smile, settling further into her chair. She did look better than when she'd first appeared at the castle, she had to admit. Her frame, which had never been given a chance to fill out, now had been given more definition, and her face was fuller, yet modest still.

"I'm well thank you," she told Beth, eating quickly. "Could you get me some water, please? Wine doesn't suit me."

She was afraid that if she took too long, the look Kieran had given her would never fade from her memory.