III: Chapter 3

As the evening progressed, Evie and Eve waited for the signal. It was decided that they would stay near the balcony on the outside of the ballroom in order to better hear it. Embellished columns provided beautiful little alcoves just by the entrance from the balcony to the ballroom, and so this is where the two women sat. Overhead, the sky was cloudy, and the moon's light failed to penetrate through the clouds, casting everything in dim shadow. It was a cool evening, with icy winds occasionally breezing across the balcony. Inside the ballroom, the music was sweet and lilting, and chatter was carried on the breeze like melodic birdsong. It was difficult to believe that on this normal - even pleasant - day, they would have to commit something unspeakable.

Neither of the women were comfortable dancing, and so they sat there together, talking to one another in hushed tones and hoping they blended in, oblivious to the attention they received due to their unusual features. Although their hair was dyed, their eyes stood out; the piercing, slanted gazes bred mistrust in others around them, who assumed that Eve and Evie were judging them silently. This wasn't altogether untrue, however, as the two women were trying to estimate who would suspect them tonight when they had finally carried out their mission.

"Evie," Eve murmured, "We need to blend in more. It seems everyone else here is familiar with one another, and we are standing out."

Around them, people converged and spoke together. It did seem that the two women were left out in this courtly crowd.

"Worry not. We cannot approach them, as it is too rude. We will have to wait for a man to introduce himself, and then we will infiltrate the party."

They didn't have to wait long. Soon, a crowd of men migrated onto the balcony, most of them making eyes at the two women. Their lusty gazes scanned over them, settling on Evie's pushed-up cleavage and Eve's bare leg. One of them, an older man, approached them silently, bowing when he had arrived and offering his name.

"My dear ladies," his accent was thick, like his dark moustache, "I am Baron DeNoble. But you can call me James."

While Eve sat there staring at him, unsure what to do, Evie arose gracefully, and returned his bow with a curtsy.

"I am Gertrude. My sister over there is called Priscilla. We are but humble visitors at this court."

"Ah! I see," his moustache wiggled as he talked, "You ladies are full of mystery and intrigue; just what we need here." He smiled at them warmly. "Would you care to be introduced to my fellow good men?"

"Of course!" Evie responded with delight, swooping down and grabbing Eve's hand, which prompted her to also rise and follow James.

"I don't know what I'm doing," Eve whispered, flustered.

"It's fine. Just pretend you're having a great time, and the rest will follow." Evie told her. "We must be as charismatic as possible tonight if we are going to have the opportunity to approach even the King himself."

Even as they were introduced to the men, Eve's heart wrenched. She glanced around the room, searching. It was impossible; he couldn't possibly be here tonight...

She gave up her brief search and carried on socialising with the men, and slowly but surely the two women dominated the room, introducing themselves to every manner of person: women, men, nobles, traders, judges - none of them were exempt from the web they weaved of charm and deceit.

After making a trader's daughter laugh for the seventh time, Eve attempted to make serious conversation.

"So, I haven't seen the King today..." She glanced over at Evie, who, on her cue, delicately picked up her skirting and came over to Eve's side, leaving behind some disappointed men.

"Oh, him?" The girl rolled her eyes. "He never seems to make it to formal occasions. He's too busy whoring around. If he wants to appear, it will happen once. And it will be to choose someone to return to his chambers with him, for a night of intrigue," she wiggled her eyebrows, "If you know what I mean."

"And how old is he, to be doing these sorts of things?" Evie interjected. "Surely he can't be older than a young squire,with that type of behaviour!"

"You'd be surprised," she laughed, and then walked away, giggling.

Suddenly, a fanfare swept throughout the room, and everything halted. Eve's heartbeat was now a steady drumbeat, which tapped in time to the footsteps of Ash, who had entered the room. However, he was not alone, and beside him stood a man dressed in regal attire, a crown nestled into a full head of hair. Everyone dropped into a bow or curtsy, and the women quickly followed suit, but couldn't help but stare at the two men. Ash smiled over at Eve, but she felt his quiet grimace behind the facade, and wondered why he had appeared at this court, and how he was so prevalent here.

As the fanfare ceased, she discovered the answer.

"His Royal Highness, King Adrian of the Kingdom of Adam has made his entrance!" The announcer boomed. The sound ricocheted throughout the ballroom, and out into the balcony.

A brief pause. And then:

"And his Majesty's son, Prince Victor!" Raucous applause filled the room, as Eve's hands clenched in her dress.

This whole time, he had been a prince of the kingdom she was destined to destroy. And she had never known. She wondered how many identities Ash had, and whether she had seen his true one yet. He could feel the anger and distrust emanating from Eve, even before he had made his way across the room with his father to greet them. Even before he could open his mouth.

The crowd in the ballroom was agape, and stunned as they watched the men proceed straight towards them. Evie exhaled, preparing herself to completely charm this young-looking King, whilst Eve had other ideas. She had forgotten all her lessons of etiquette at this point, not even bothering to curtsy when the men finally arrived. Not once did the eye contact between Ash and herself break.

"Listen, I-" Ash attempted to pull Eve aside, but she thrust his arm away from her, shooting him a disgusted look.

"Save your words, snake." She glared at him, then stormed away, leaving the ballroom. After throwing a helpless glance towards James, Ash turned and ran after her.

Around them, the court erupted into gossip and nervous chatter.

*******************************

A/N:

Hey there! How are all of you doing today?

With this chapter, a new host of problems have been unleashed! Why hasn't Kieran sent them a signal?

Why is Ash a Prince of the Kingdom of Adam?

How will Evie manage to entice and assassinate the King, alone?

I hope you're waiting with bated breath for the next chapter!

Ps. If you're enjoying this story a lot, don't hesitate to comment and vote!