4

Ebony trailed behind him, her nerves getting the best of her as they walked along the drive-way to her childhood home. She shivered slightly, the approaching conflict exploding to life inside her mind. She wasn't quite sure what was going on but she knew that whatever it was...it obviously wasn't good.

Lawrence stood with his hands dug deep into his pockets, his jaw clenched as he watched her walk slowly toward where he stood. "Open the door, Ebony." He commanded, though there was a slight tremor to his deep bravado.

She stared up at him for a moment before reaching for her duplicate key, her hand fumbling to grip it. She stuck it in the lock and twisted, pushing the door open.

She took a step inside but was suddenly pulled back by Lawrence. "We go in together." He mumbled with a twisted sort of satisfaction in his tone. He wrapped an arm around her, squeezing her close to his side before moving forward, stepping inside.

She was shock for a moment, until his lips brushed her ear, knocking her out of her haze. "Ebony."

She shivered, her body reacting to his closeness.

"Don't look so nervous," he chuckled in her ear, "no one's going to get hurt today, and everything's going to be fine."

Despite his reassurance she didn't believe him at all. There was a look about him, a gleam in his eyes that she didn't like. As if he knew something she didn't.

"Ebony, is that you, baby?" Her mother called as she rounded the corner. She paused when she noticed the Ebony wrapped in a man's arms, her eyes lighting up with curiosity and a silent giddiness that was more than apparent.

"Oh, and who is this handsome young man holding you in his arms?" Her mother asked, a sly smile on her face as if she already knew the answer to her question. Before Ebony could answer he stuck out his hand, a smile gracing his lips.

Ebony stared slack jawed. Her mother's mouth fell open. The man was so good looking it hurt.

"I'm Lawrence, it's nice to meet you, Mrs..."

"Oh, um, no need to call me Mrs. Anything. Call me Patrice. Just Patrice." Her mother stuttered, reaching out to shake his outstretched hand.

"Well, hello Patrice, it's nice to meet you." Lawrence said with a suave quality, as if he had already rehearsed this very scene over a million times.

"Goodness, Ebony, honey, you never told me you were seeing someone so handsome."

Ebony sighed, running a hand down her face. This was going to be a long night that she could tell. "Sorry mom, I was going to tell you but...it slipped my mind." She lied with a slow clarity that made her gut twist.

Her mother waved her off before ushering them into the dining room, not even bothering to ask if they were staying for dinner. The table was set, two plates sat immaculately decorated. She ordered them to sit down, running off to go and get extra plates. They sat right next to each other and Ebony chewed on her bottom lip nervously. Something about this whole situation felt so wrong...as if something were about to explode right here and now. It was a feeling that was almost tangible in the air.

"You still look nervous." He mumbled beside her as he turned, invading her space, his leg brushing up right against hers. She stiffened slightly, casting her eyes on him.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on, Lawrence?" She retorted.

He made an exasperated noise in his throat, a scowl crossing his face, "You can stop pretending like you don't know."

"I'm not pretending, you asshole!"

He snorted before leaning toward her, catching her off guard. She sat back in the chair, trying to avoid his closeness. He got close enough to kiss, his lips mere inches from her lips. "Save all that aggression and tension for the bedroom, baby." He remarked before pulling away just as her mother walked in carrying a long pan filled with baked tilapia. She placed it in the center of the table and walked out once more. When she came back she had bowl of rice.

"Mom, let me help you," Ebony called as she stood, escaping Lawrence's grasp before he could protest.

She ran into the kitchen and grabbed two extra plates and the pitcher of what looked to be lemonade. "He seems nice." Her mother commented with a bowl of vegetables in her hands, her eyes trained on Ebony.

Ebony cleared her throat. Lying to her mother felt terrible but she'd be damned if she let what was going on slip. "He is...or at least he was at one point." She mumbled the last part.

"What?"

She smiled, "Nothing. Where's daddy?"

Her mother tsked, "He'll be coming down in a minute, you know he's watching that stuff about sports."

"ESPN?" Ebony laughed.

"Girl, I don't care what it is, he sits in there watching it all day and he still hasn't fixed that light in the garage."

"Momma, you're crazy."

"Mmhhmm, you're going to sound just like me one day. Maybe with this cute fella you came here with?" Her mother edged.

"I don't think so, mom." She didn't give her mother enough time to say anything, quickly moving backing to the dining room. She laid out their plates and sat down the pitcher of lemonade.

She took her seat as her mother walked in with the vegetables.

"Thomas! Thomas, dinner's ready, honey!" She yelled. She placed her hands on her hips and waited for a moment, a smirk on her face.

The sound of heavy footsteps echoed as he came around the corner, stretching lazily. "Dinner ready?" He asked jokingly, planting a kiss against her cheek and moving to his seat.

"It's been a long time and I thought I would feel different about seeing you, I thought I would be able to contain myself but...fuck that. You owe me." Lawrence suddenly said, catching everyone's attention. Ebony stared at him, her eyes widening once she realized that he was talking to her father. She directed her gaze to her father, only to find him staring at Lawrence with disbelief.

"What are you doing in my house?"

Lawrence tsked, "Have a seat, Thomas. We're going to have a long talk. Right here. Right now."