Chapter 18.1: The Chateau

Sitting on the patio of a nearby bistro a short time later, Max downed his espresso in one swig. "Well, this certainly changes things," he said while putting the porcelain cup down with a clink. "Although I must apologize for my earlier outburst, you do have to realize that your condition came as quite a shock."

Caught mid-swallow, Reine almost choked on her sparkling water. "You were always quite good at stating the obvious."

"Give me a break." He scoffed. "I'm sure you're way past initial reactions, but I'm still trying to process this."

"Process away," she said, raising a incredulous eyebrow. "I'd love to hear your insight."

He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. "So do you know how this happened?" He unexpectedly smiled.

"Of course I know how it happened," she said, straightening in her chair. "I just don't know how it was possible for it to happen. We're supposed to be biologically frozen, just maintaining the status quo while unable to grow or change. Obviously, I'm doing both." She could have punched him for making jokes.

"And you're certain that you've maintained your immortality? There were some doubts as to your health a while back, if I remember correctly," he said as his expression turned serious.

Tired of trying to convince him with just words, Reine picked up a fork and stabbed it with as much force as she could into the fleshiest portion of her palm.

"Oww, shit. I always hate this part." She pulled out the utensil and gritted her teeth, watching the four small pricks quickly erupt with blood. Holding her hand up for Max to see, they both observed how quickly the wound closed. After wiping it with a napkin, the skin looked as pristine as before.

"Yes, I'm back to normal. Well, considering to circumstances, I guess. What do you think is going on?" she asked, honestly curious to hear his opinion on the matter.

In a familiar move, he ran his fingers through his hair. "I have no idea. Are you even sure it's his?"

Reine could feel her blood pressure increase in response to his accusatory tone. She matched it by raising her own voice.

"What kind of floozy do you think I am? Of course it's his. And you can say his name," she added.

Max, however, was unaffected. "Very well. Let's start at the beginning then. When do think Gabe knocked you up?" he asked wryly.

She wanted to scream at him for his attitude, but Reine knew it wouldn't do any good. Pausing for a few seconds, she took a deep breath and decided not to let Max get to her.

"Fine. Let's see. I first started getting sick after the ball in Venice--"

Max leaned forward and slammed his hands on the table. "You slept with him in Venice?" he asked angrily.

"Would you let me finish? No, I did not sleep with him then," she explained, but recalling that amazing night put a smile on her lips. "I probably would have though, if your henchmen hadn't interrupted us."

His expression turned stoic upon hearing the admission. "Go on."

"I just mentioned that night because I think that was the turning point. Whatever happened there allowed me to get pregnant later. And if you must know, it was mid-March. The same weekend he died."

"That makes you, what? Three months along?" He rubbed his forehead. "Have you been to a doctor?"

"I'm not sure if I can. Not to a regular one, at any rate." She frowned.

"That's true," he said. "I'll find somebody in London for you."

"Thanks, I'd appreciate that." She took another sip from her water, all the while watching him. Max seemed to be deep in thought, staring off into the distance. "So now what?"