Chapter 14: Momson Makeovers and the Flat Upstairs

Savannah, Georgia, was not actually a savannah. This disappointed Tony.

Having never been to Georgia and never even heard of Savannah, Tony had expected an arid, dry, hot, grassy desert to go with the name; but this 'desert' was full of green trees and big parks and pretty fountains and gorgeous old buildings that ran illuminated along the waterside, and Tony didn't know whether to be in awe of its beauty or dejected for not seeing the African-esque landscape he'd pictured.

He decided to go with in awe, so he looked out of the window, daring to tip Mike's cap up a little to take in the view. In the park they passed, Tony saw a wedding party arriving and a bride gracefully rising from her limo, bridesmaids straightening out her dress. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and nobody would ever know the clouds Tony was bringing with him.

They drove around Savannah for about fifteen minutes before pulling up outside a hair salon. It was a small building tucked into the corner of the street, with a large overhanging canapé at the front and an elegant sign reading; Momson Makeovers. Inside, however, it was almost empty. There were only two people actually having haircuts, and it was conspicuously quiet apart from the soft, compulsory hair salon music lulling the customers to sleep. The back of the salon turned out to be open plan, and Tony could see it was actually a small but well equipped tattoo parlour.

They stood in the salon foyer for a few minutes before the desk, waiting for a member of staff to appear. "This place is kind of quirky," Tony said, smiling. "This whole city is."

Before anyone could reply, a door in the back opened and a girl walked into the parlour. She was tall and skinny with white blonde hair and heavy eye makeup that made her look striking. At her feet trotted a pepper-grey cat with a long, soft coat and pale green eyes, and somehow it looked protective of her. Her clothes were exclusively black, and she froze upon seeing them, one hand halfway to straightening out her hair, and her mouth dropped open. She stood there for a very long time, and none of the boys made a move, waiting for her to speak. Eventually, the only sound she made was; "ha!"

"Hey, Taylor," Vic started, and the woman, Taylor, just shook her head as she ticked back into action, walking up to behind the till.

"Would you just look at what the cat dragged in?" She huffed, putting both hands on the counter. The cat, almost seeming to take offence at this, hopped up on the counter and sat there, its tail waving from side to side, and hissed. Taylor looked sidelong at the cat. "Oh, don't be so unpleasant, Soot. That's my job."

"It's good to see you too, Taylor," Mike grinned. "I can't believe that damn cat is still going."

"Oh, leave her be, Fuentes," she scorned, running a hand down Soot's back from head to tail. Soot stopped hissing and lifted her head, revelling in the feeling of being stroked. A quiet rumble emitted from deep in her throat. Taylor's eyes landed on Tony. "Do you like cats?"

Tony raised his eyebrows, unprepared for the question, but he rose to meet it, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of being the superior of the conversation. She didn't strike him as a mean girl - just intensely bitter. So he tried. "I'm fond of them. Honestly, I'd consider myself more of a dog person. Not that I'd say that to your cat's face."

"Are you a suck up or just weirdly honest?"

"I'd say weirdly honest."

Taylor rolled her eyes. "Okay. So I'm guessing you guys have got yourselves into shit?"

"Me credit card was hijacked," Mike corrected firmly. "Not my fault. Why do you care anyway, Taylor? We aren't here to see you. Is Oli home?"