Chapter 17: Good Afternoon, Baltimore

Tony wrapped the electric emergency blanket even tighter around himself as what was left of the car pulled around the private lane and into the quiet, closed in, open drive of the house in the outskirts of Baltimore.

The driveway was gravel, and it was long and wide, and it had a sandstone path curving down the side of it into the surrounding woods. The house itself was huge - dusted brown brick with gleaming ivory window frames and an elevated porch with a bench swing, upon which sat a man with his nose in a book who looked up as they parked, and an angelic smile spread across his features. Tony didn't need to be told; caramel hair, unshaven chin, gentle yet daring smile...this was Alex Gaskarth, Jack Barakat's carer.

Tony had been given a vague outline of the story - friends since the age of eight, Jack and Alex had always been inseparable; even after an illness had left Jack with irreparable brain damage that was causing his organs to very slowly, one by one, shut down. And even now with Alex just gone thirty and Jack at a steady twenty nine, it was a rare sight to see them apart. Determined to help Jack in every way he could, Alex had gone to college online, got a degree in nursing and a job with a care centre, and had legally been allowed to live with Jack as his full time carer - not to mention best friend. And, apparently, they liked to pretend they weren't in love. Tony decided to reserve judgement on that one.

Mike turned off the ignition and the engine rumbled dejectedly into silence, as if it was coughing to death after being ill for a very long time. The doors, as they opened, creaked and groaned, dislodging small shards of glass, and the party piled out, Jaime having to give Vic a hand with Vic unable to stand on his injured leg. As the cold autumn air bit at Tony's still chilly form he pulled the blanket Mike had provided him with tightly around him, and he saw Alex put down his book and trot down the front porch steps, still beaming. "I'm sorry, do I know you people?" He asked cheekily as he approached them, and Mike couldn't hold back the massive smile as he attacked Alex with a hug vicious enough to rival the one he gave Oli back in Savannah. Alex wasn't caught off guard, and he laughed warmly as he gripped Mike back.

"You might have met us once or twice," he explained, and then pulled back. Alex's smile, up close, was pure. That was what Tony thought - pure and open. He was an open person. Jaime was next in line for a fatherly embrace, with quiet muttering exchanged. Then Alex put a hand on Vic's shoulder (who was standing on one leg and leaning heavily against his boyfriend), and smiled sympathetically.

"Oh Vic," he laughed sympathetically. "Look at the state of you."

"Don't get me started, Lex," he giggled back, and let himself be engulfed by the man who could have easily been more than a head taller than him. When he stepped back again, he put a hand on his hip and stared at the mess of metal that used to be a shining, well-kept car.

"I can't say I approve of what you've done with the vehicle," he directed at Mike, and Mike put his head in his hands.

"I know. Think you can fix her?"

Alex winked and nodded. "I can fix her, but it'll take time. You boys need to fix yourselves first. And you..."

And then Tony was last in line, and Alex made eye contact that was kind and direct, and Tony immediately felt at ease. "Tony," he smiled, and Tony's immediate response was to smile back. He nodded.

"Alex. It's really nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Alex stuck a hand out and Tony shook it gladly. His skin was soft and warm - or maybe Tony was just freezing cold still, because Alex's smile instantly fell and his eyes widened. "Oh Jesus. You're still frozen. Come on kids, come in, before this poor little shit catches his death."