Chapter 22: A Family Reunion

When Tony was shaken awake, the first thing he remembered was the feeling of Mike's lips pressing against his own, and the warmth of his body against his, and the ecstasy of losing himself in what was far more than a one-night stand. In fact, the memory was so potent that he almost smiled in his sleep.

Almost. But not quite. After a few seconds, he remembered.

"Tony? Can you hear me? Wake up, kitten."

It took Tony a few moments to place the voice. Light and airy with a southern twang, kind, motherly...oh God.

Tony managed to force his eyes, heavy as lead, open just a crack, and then all the way, and his fear was confirmed. Cassadee's big orbs of chestnut were worried and loving, and her blonde, mousy hair was tumbling into her face, unruly, not brushed in a while.  Tony saw her open features, that smattering of brown freckles, and momentarily he was comforted - and then common sense and reality crashed in at the same time, and his heart fell into his stomach with a sickening thud.

"Cass..." Tony started, groggy and tired. "What...how are you..."

"Hush now, sugar," she whispered, stroking his hair back with one hand. He appeared to be cradled in her arms like a baby, the both of them sitting on the cold, hard floor of some unknown place. "You just take your time and wake up, now."

"That's quite enough," spurred a sharp voice in the background, and Cassadee's soft, gentle features suddenly went hard and defensive as she looked over her shoulder at the speaker.

"Let him wake up, dammit."

"He's awake. Now get back in your place, girl."

"My name is Cassadee," she hissed bitterly. "You have done quite enough to put me in my place, you vile woman. You've kidnapped me. You've beaten my fiancé. Now show your son a little human decency."

There was no response, and Cassadee turned back to Tony, all traces of protective anger gone in an instant. "How are you feeling, pet?" She whispered, helping him sit up against the wall. Tony's head was still slow and waking up, groggy and delayed from the effects of the chloroform.

"Fine," Tony managed, although it was a lie. Because he was processing it now.

Cassadee and Rian kidnapped? Beaten? He already knew Mike and the others were in trouble as well. How many people were about to be hurt?

And all because of him.

"You hear that?" Tony heard his father say lowly, dangerously. "He's fine. Now get back."

"Hold your horses, Bucky," Cassadee bit, if anything, inching closer to Tony's form. He took in more of her now - she looked as if her clothes hadn't been changed in a few days; her long sleeved, white top was creased and dirty, and her jeans were ripped, and not in he fashionable sense. Her hair hadn't been brushed. Her face hadn't been washed. Was that dried blood on the corner of her mouth? What had happened to her?

"Cass, don't," Tony pleaded, getting his wits about him. "It's not worth it."

"Don't worry about me, love," she cooed in a whisper, squeezing his arm.

And then whatever words she was about to say were cut off as she jerked back, and Tony saw his father grab a fistful of her hair and tug sharply, yanking her head back and causing her to cry out, to stumble back. Her hands, in shock, went to where her hair was held and batted uselessly at Antonio's hands as he dragged her away, at first by the hair and then by the back of her top, and she flailed and struggled like a mad thing, not giving in for a moment.

"Don't!" Tony cried, pleading. "Leave her alone."

"Quiet, boy," his mother said airily, and, out of habit and instinct, Tony shut up.