12.What Happens When The Lights Go Out

**This one's long**

12

"Jackson! Howard! Stop! No! Bad dogs!" I was on the ground and they started licking my face. I was just laughing.

Then Ashton pulled them off me. I noticed they were two large Boxers. They were so cute!

Ashton had them by the collars. I got up and dusted off. "Dad! Can you please come help me!" He yelled.

A middle aged man that looked like a slightly older version of Ashton ran and grabbed one of the dogs. They both threw them out in the back yard and they started barking.

Ashton turned around to face me and I was holding back a fit of giggles. His hair was a mess and hit button up shirt was slightly askew. "Well dad I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Brooke." I walked over and shook his hand.

"Hello." I said smiling.

"So this is the one that can out smart you?" He shook my hand and smiled. "You can call me Jim by the way."

"She can't outsmart me."

"I let him think that." I whispered to Jim.

He laughed. "Well I like you sweetheart. Let's go see what Theresa has cooked up for lunch." I guessed Theresa was his mom.

We walked into the dining room where there were a couple plates and an assortment of stuff to make sandwiches. I like sandwiches.

"We're making our own sandwiches?" Ashton asked.

"Panini's!" We heard someone call from the other room. She bounced in. "I just got a Panini maker and I want to try it out." She was very pretty. Ashton had the same straight brown hair as her. She looked kind of young. About mid thirties or so. She was wearing a black v-neck t-shirt and jeans.

"Mom, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Brooke."

"Oh hello!" She wiped her hands on her jeans and shook mine. I couldn't help but smile. She had a very pleasant way about her. "I'm Theresa."

"It's nice to meet you."

"Yes and it's so great to finally meet you too! I've been wondering who the hell my son could've possibly been beaten by! I was also who it was that actually made him like a girl for her personality. I mean you must have a great one." She talked so fast I could barely keep up!

"Um..well..."

"Don't flatter her too much mom. You don't want her head to get even bigger."

"Ashton be nice she is your girlfriend after all."

We looked at each other and laughed. "What's so funny? What did I say?"

"Nothing. It's just Ashton and I have a weird kind of relationship."

"Not any weirder than me and his father!" She looked at him and laughed.

"Oh shush Theresa!" Jim said chuckling. I was beginning to like his family more and more.

"Yeah my mom was always the little dare devil while my dad tried to calm her down and keep her under control."

"But no one can hold back a free spirit!" She declared.

"Way to go mom. Now let's eat."

"Okay so just make your sandwich and put in on the Panini maker for about thirty seconds and you'll have yourself a delicious toasted sandwich."

We started making our sandwiches and talking. "So how is your relationship weird?" Theresa asked me.

"Well I mean we aren't really...nice." I said bluntly.