14.What Happens When The Lights Go Out

14

Ashton and I walked to his house hand in hand. We got inside and his mom immediately brightened up. "Brooke! Ashton! How did it go over at your house?"

Ashton coughed uncomfortably. "Let's just say it could have been better."

"Oh dear. What happened?"

I went on to tell her all the gory details.

"Well I'm sorry Brooke, but your mother's behavior to Ashton and you was totally unacceptable."

"Oh don't apologize. I know it was. I just can't believe someone acts like that and thinks it's okay."

"Yes. I'm obviously a mother and I would never treat my children like that."

"Good."

She smiled. "Well if you ever need a mother I'm always here sweetheart."

I hugged her. "Thank you Theresa."

"No problem sweetie. Now I have to go make lunch. You two play nicely alright?"

"Alright mom." Ashton grabbed my hand and we raced out of there to his room.

I sat on his bed. He turned to me. "Okay it's another time. What's the 'incident'?"

"Oh." I said looking away.

"Come on Brooke tell me."

I sighed. "I was six years old. Family friends were getting married. I was forced into a disgusting dress that was itchy and I hated it. We didn't have any shoes my size, they were all too small, so I had to get hammy downs from my sister. The shoes were a little too big, but we thought it would be fine." I paused for a second. Ashton motioned for me to continue. "Well everything at the wedding went fine, but disaster struck at the reception. There was a little boy that kept making fun of me and pushing me and bit by bit I was getting more pissed off at him. I finally got so mad I snuck into the kitchen, stole a bucket. I looked around and got any sort of liquid substance. Anything I could get my hands on. I was only going to throw a little on him. Well there was a balcony above the bride and groom and I was running across that because it was quicker to the hiding spot where I was going to throw the stuff at him. So as I was running my foot slipped out of my shoe and I fell. All the stuff in the bucket spilled over the edge and, naturally, onto the bride and groom." I put my face in my hands.

There was silence for a couple seconds then out of nowhere Ashton started laughing. "Are you serious?! That was the incident?!"

"It's not that funny! They still won't talk to us!"

"Who?"

"The Thornfields. After that disaster they hate me."

"Thornfields?"

"Yeah."

"I know them."

He sat there thinking for a second then a surprised look crossed his face. "No way! I was the mean boy!"

"What?!"

"I totally remember it now! I remember making fun of you in that ridiculous dress and then a bunch of red goo and people screaming."

"You were the boy?!"

"Wow funny that we were the same way back then."

"It's all your fault!"

"Oh give me a break. I was six and I thought you were cute. Cut little me some slack."

I just sat there staring at him with my eye slightly twitching. Then I whipped around and turned my back from him. "I'm angry with you."