Nicko escorted Toby to the flap in the tent that acted as a door. Outside, Hyde Park was a hub of activity. A flat area of grassland had been transformed into a travellers' village where Nicko's group were stationed. A giant ring of painted wagons and fur-covered tents surrounded a massive bonfire. Opposite them, a black and red circus Big Top had been erected, surrounded by fiery torches. The sound of an audience murmured from within.

Dozens of children, some very young and others almost adults, bustled around the camp, chatting and squeezing into costumes of all varieties. Some spoke in a strange language to each other, with elegant, lilting intonations that sounded graceful to Toby. It was unlike any dialect he had heard spoken around the workhouse. He wanted to hear more. However, when they saw him, they smiled and switched effortlessly to English as if trying not to exclude him.

A team of acrobats pirouetted and flipped, dancing in the snow while attendants in dark, snugly fitting uniforms made from black and jade velvet opened horseboxes. Strange animals that Toby had never seen before emerged from the travelling boxes. They were huge beasts with sturdy legs, thick winter coats, and impressive crowns of antlers.

'Ah, I see you've spotted the reindeer already,' Nicko beamed. 'Beautiful creatures, but be careful around them. They're proud. Back home, we call them the Kings of the Scandinavian wilderness. I'm sure they'll love you when they get to know you.'

Toby looked uncertain.

'A promising young boy like you will fit in well here, Toby. You'll feel like one of the family in no time,' Nicko continued, resting a hand on his shoulder. Then he turned away to deal with a rowdy bunch of performers that had gathered around him, shouting over each other. Each seemed to have a different problem requiring immediate resolution.

Toby looked around awkwardly, not sure what to do with himself while Nicko was distracted. That's when a familiar face approached him. Melvin smirked, eyes sparkling. Brushing his mop of dark hair out of his eyes, he raised his hand to shake Toby's.

'Hey, I'm Melvin.' His accent was strange, but he seemed friendly.

'I know. Nicko told me. You're his Head Elf?'

'Yeah, it seems you're at an advantage, since I don't know your name.'

'Toby Carter.'

'New guy, aye? That's good to know, Toby Carter.' Melvin bowed low, his boyish smile never wavering. 'Welcome to The Winter Freak Show. In my position, I need to know everyone. Has the Big Man shown you around yet?'

'Nope. He was just getting round to it.'

'Of course,' Melvin snickered. 'Spread himself too thinly as usual. Always trying to help everybody, that one. It's not his fault. His heart's too big and he's only got one pair of hands.'

'You speak highly of him.'

'You will too when you get to know him.'

'So, this is a freak show?' Toby asked.

'Only the best one in the whole world.'

'Where are the freaks?' Toby asked curiously, scanning the camp.

'They're all around us,' Melvin told him assuredly.

Toby shot dubious glances at the costumed performers. Their outfits were well put together, created from leather, fur, feathers, and metal scales. They were striking, but it was obvious that the children were not the monsters they pretended to be. They were just dressed up as beasts. Nobody would be fooled into believing that they were actual freaks of nature.