Next to Toby stood young Charlie Thornton. A few paces back, outside the garden gate, Nicko and Stella waited patiently. The front door of the grand townhouse in Chelsea opened, and Toby was bathed in the warm glow of the fire of a family home.

'My little boy!' exclaimed a pretty woman, rushing to hug Charlie as she opened the door. A stained apron was tied around her waist and her mousy hair stood pinned back in a loose bun. She looked tired. 'Your father and I have been worried sick. We thought we'd lost you forever.' Toby could smell her sweet perfume, and thought how much she looked like Charlie.

'No, Mum. I was saved.'

'How? What happened? Tell us everything. Wait... where are my manners? Who are your friends, dear?' She smiled at Toby, then Nicko and Stella, noticing them for the first time.

'This,' Charlie beamed, 'is Toby Carter. He lives with The Winter Freak Show – you remember Nicko. Toby's the one who saved me and all the other children!'

Toby blushed at the unexpected praise.

'Well, Toby, it's awfully nice to meet you. I can't thank you enough for bringing Charlie home. Come in, all of you, out of the cold.'

They moved into the front lounge, and Charlie sat in front of the fire to warm himself.

'What's all this, Mary?' came a voice from the hallway.

Then a man appeared at the door and said in astonishment, 'Charlie, my boy! You're back!' He wore an expensive suit but it looked ruffled, as if he'd neglected his appearance. His face was pale and grey but immediately filled with a healthier colour as he saw his son.

Behind him, two identical girls gasped and chattered excitedly when they saw their brother. They all came into the room and started to hug Charlie.

'John, this boy, Toby Carter, saved Charlie. He's brought him home to us.' Charlie's mother had tears in her eyes.

'Wonderful!' the man stooped to shake Toby's hand. Then he straightened. 'That's an interesting birthmark you've got on your arm,' he said, frowning slightly.

'Thank you, sir.' Toby peered at the bird-shaped patch of discoloured skin near his wrist. He was so used to it being there, he rarely noticed it.

Mr Thornton shot a glance at his wife. They exchanged a look, as if they were having a silent conversation. 'You don't think...?' he asked her.

'Surely not,' she replied, also frowning.

'Toby, how long have you been living with Nicko and The Winter Freak Show?'

'About a week, sir. Before that I lived in workhouses for as long as I can remember.'

'And what about your mother and father? What did they tell you about them? Where are they?'

'I don't know. I was left at a workhouse door when I was a baby. The Beadle, Mr Sparrow, named me. Nobody remembers seeing my parents. I suppose they're long gone now,' he answered matter-of-factly.

'Oh, John,' uttered Mrs Thornton through tears of happiness, 'I think you might be right. Toby dear, I don't think your parents are long gone after all.'

'How so, ma'am?'

'Because we are your parents.'

Toby turned to look at Nicko in disbelief. The old man grinned back at him. His rosy cheeks burned a deeper shade of crimson than normal. There was a knowing glimmer in his eye. Toby turned back to Charlie's parents – to his parents.