Everyone was screaming. Attendants ran onstage to help. Even some of the closest onlookers edged towards the stage as if to try something courageous. Toby was stuck by panic. There was no way he could reach Nicko before he was gored by the same reindeer that had almost got him before the show. As if spurred on by the uproar, the stags continued to charge.

Nicko's life looked certain to be cut short in a violent climax. As the reindeer closed in, he panicked showily for the crowd. Then, when all seemed hopeless, he smiled and shot his arms out wide. Just as it looked like he was bound to be impaled, the reindeer's thundering hooves became quiet.

Steam pumped from their nostrils and their feet continued to move, but the charging animals were no longer a danger. True to his word, Nicko's trick was the most incredible of all. Although still running, the stampeding beasts left the floor and bounded high into the air over his head. Their jingling sleigh bells were all that could be heard over the rapturous din of the crowd's gasps and applause.

The audience were astounded, but their excitement reached unmatchable heights when the reindeer tried to land. Instead of crashing back down to the earth, they continued to run on the air. It was totally perplexing. To the dumbstruck spectators, it looked as if the air below the deer's feet had frozen solid, creating tiny icy platforms on which they ran. The train of reindeer orbited the inside of the Big Top like sparrows caught indoors. Below their jingling hooves, powdery snow and glittering dust showered the delighted audience. They continued to circle long after Nicko was released from his restraints and had concluded the night's entertainment. His assistants laughed, happy that their faux-panic had, as usual, got the audience so excited.

As the audience filed out into the cold December night, they continued to chatter excitedly. Nicko was an excellent host and took it upon himself to stand next to the exit to wish every man, woman, and child a safe journey home.

'Do be sure to return again next year, Mr... what was your name again?' a woman urged.

'Please, call me Nicko. And certainly, madam. This is one of the greatest cities on Earth. We wouldn't miss it for anything.'

'That's good to know, Nicko.'

These pleasantries carried on until the last guest had left. Everyone was enchanted by the ringmaster, but Toby noticed an odd thing. With every child that passed through the curtain, Nicko glanced at Melvin, who nodded or shook his head to him discretely. In reply, Melvin jotted in a dog-eared, leather-bound book. The Winter Freak Show's visitors seemed completely unaware that this was happening, and were thrilled with their experience.

One child was so in awe of the whole event that he forgot to watch where he was going. As he left the auditorium, his eyes were fixed on the ceiling where the reindeer still remained, effortlessly suspended. They stubbornly refused to come down to ground level and had started chewing the tent roof. A team of elves were clustered below them, failing miserably to tempt them down with carrots.

His eyes facing skyward, the boy bumped straight into Melvin. Both he and the Head Elf fell to the ground and ended up in a tangled heap. Embarrassed by the accident, the boy jumped to his feet in shock. Gazing at Melvin, he took a step back, hesitated, and scampered away after his parents.

'Come along, Charlie!' yelled a tall woman linked to the arm of a gentleman in a dinner jacket.

They didn't seem to notice what had happened, but Nicko did. Watching it all in good spirits, the old man chuckled and motioned to Melvin as if to ask if he was alright. Melvin confirmed grumpily that he was unhurt while dusting himself off.

Night after night, the travellers put on a different show for their adoring public. Each one was breath-taking and as suspenseful than the last. Toby stayed with The Winter Freak Show for some time in the hope that he would eventually join the act as one of the performers.