Chapter Ten

• Dedicated to McLaren_TG

AUTHOR'S NOTE: So, various death threats later, for which my darling SnowingMoon is in no way responsible (they were actually courtesy of the person this chapter is dediacted too). I have finally uploaded this chapter, which I found in the back of my Geography book. Don't ask me why, I used to like Geography until a teacher who shall remain nameless began teaching it (I'm sure some of you agree with me *looks pointedly at WingCommander*). Anyway, I know it's a little rushed, and so any tips on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: Do you really need to tell you again? JK Rowling owns Harry Potter, okay? How many times to I need to repeat that for it to penetrate your thick skull *groans in exasperation*...

Rose stared at Scorpius in disbelief. They hadn't spoken since the argument after the wedding. She had been suffering from a hangover, but she could distinctly remember telling him how much she hated him, before collapsing into a sobbing wreck. It was the humiliation more than anything else that had prevented her from talking to him since. Her mind drifted back to the wedding. The memory was hazy, unreal as a dream, after all she had been completely drunk, but she could recall his soft lips pressing against hers with perfect clarity... And now this.

"You... you're asking me out?" she managed to choke.

Scorpius nodded, anxiously.

"On Valentine's day. Just as friends, of course. Will you come?"

Rose simply gawped. Everyone was expected to have a date to go to Hogsmeade with on Valentine's day. Scorpius never had any problems finding himself a girl. He had his own personal fangroup, so whenever he needed a girlfriend he simply asked the first one that glanced at him hopefully. He never dumped them, that would have been to much effort, They simply got bored of the facet that he never paid any attention to them.

"I don't know," Rose told him tentatively, "Ashely might want me to go with him and..." She trailed off and began to stare intently at her shoes.

"But I asked you first? Why can't you go with me?" Scorpius exploded indignantly, losing control of his temper at the mention of Ashley.

Rose looked at him curiously.

"But Ashley's my boyfriend."

"So?"

"So, I'm going with him.'

"Why on earth do you even date him? He's a complete idiot."

'Just because he beat you at Quidditch!"

"For God's sake, Rose, you know I don't hold grudges. And anyway, he didn't bet me, he beat my team. There's a difference."

"See, see how jealous you are!"

"Stop it, Rose," Scorpius said, a note of disappointment clearly detectable in his tone, "There's no point in us arguing. I'm sorry I suggested it, it's a stupid idea. I'll just -"

But he didn't get to finish his sentence because Rose had risen up on tiptoe, flung her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his. She pulled away quickly, a pink tinge creeping into her pale cheeks.

"I'll come to Hogsmeade with you," she breathed softly in his ear, "But not just as friends."

"Rose!"

She spun around, just in time to catch a glimpse of Ashley's stormy expression as he thundered down the spiral staircase that lead away from the Astronomy tower. Rose rushed to the top of the steps.

"Ashley, come back," she called after him, "Please, we need to talk."

Slowly, Ashley turned to face her, fury written all over his face."

"I don't think so, Spike." he said with a malicious grin, "You and your Death-Eater boyfriend will though. How will you explain to daddy, that you chose the son of a dark wizard over a member of the Gryffindor Quidditch team?"

Rose looked on the verge of tears as Ashley ran angrily down the stairs. In spite of himself Scorpius felt a stab of guilty pleasure. He sobered at the distraught look on Rose's face. Rose might have a temper on her, but she hated upsetting people.

"So, are we going to Hogsmeade together?" he asked, awkwardly.

She gave him a weak smile.

"Yeah. I suppose there's no point trying to keep it secret. Ashley will tell everyone. He'll twist the facts to, turn me into a total bitch. I'm guessing his version of the story will be something completely different. Him and Al, we'll never here the end of it."

Scorpius sighed.

"Don't worry I'm used to those two. They can't get much worse."

Rose raised her eyebrows.

"Trust me, Al can. I've known him all my life, he can be absolutely horrible when he wants to."

Scorpius smiled and ran his long finger through her chestnut hair. 

"Don't worry. It's wroth it, if I get a date with you."

"Can I ask you something? How long have you wanted to ask me out for?"

Scorpius suppressed an amused smile. Credited as the most intelligent girl in their year, yet she hadn't spotted his growing affection for her.

'For about three years. Since I was about thirteen or fourteen. When everyone started dating?"

"You took a long time about." she commented.

He grinned.

"You were the only girl that wasn't the slightest bit interested. And look at the competition I would have had. And anyway good things come to those who wait."