Chapter 3: Valeriya

Bid my blood to run before I come undone; save me from the nothing I've become.

~Bring Me To Life, Evanescence

Madame B. lead me into a room where several cots were sitting, untouched.

"You will sleep here and wait for your orders. You might as well get comfortable in your new home." She said before leaving me alone in the cold cell with the cots.

I waited until I heard her footsteps fade away before I let myself slide down the wall and curl up into a ball on the floor. Tears fell from my face and onto the cold hard ground. Their salty smell was the only thing I had besides my bag of clothing and training equipment, which Madame B. had taken from me without me noticing.

I was too busy breaking down and feeling sorrow for the first time in a while to notice the figure in my cell. I finally did see a glint of something shiny, and I stifled my crying, praying no one had noticed me.

"Who's there?" I called to the other, darkened side of the cell. I could see nothing now. Perhaps the glint I saw was just my imagination trying to make me feel less lonely.

The silence that followed made me want to curl up tighter and scream. It was painful to sit there know that something could be watching me or I could be going insane.

"Hello?" I called again. This time I heard something shift. Something or someone was there.

"Who are you?" I added.

"I don't know." A deep, smooth voice replied.

"Well that's a little weird." I muttered.

"Can you tell me who you are? Have I met you before?" The voice asked. Something about hearing someone else talking for a change comforted me.

I sighed and uncurled myself slightly. "Valeriya. Valeriya Villanova." A small smile came across my face as I said the words.

"Can you come out of the dark? I want to see your face." I added.

A moment passed where to figure was thinking, then I heard it move. The sound of metal scrapping across the floor filled my ears as a body came into the little light this cell had.

The first thing I saw was the metal arm.

A gasp escaped my lips, and without thinking, I scooted back closer to the wall, trembling with fear.

The Urban Legend of the Red Room looked at me with apologetic eyes. His matted brown hair fell at his shoulders, and he had a bit of stubble. The thing that drew my attention most was his beautiful blue eyes. They said so much about him that I didn't know whether to believe if he would kill me or not.

"Was it something I did?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and tried to get up.

The urban legend helped me get off the ground with his flesh hands, and I tried to act like I fully appreciated it.

"No...just...I've heard stories..." I replied, dusting myself off and wiping my eyes, praying that they weren't red and puffy.

"You alright?" he asked gently.

"I don't know."

Silence fell once again. We were just staring at each other, taking in our appearances.

I hadn't seen my face other than when it was in front of a large mirror for ballet, but I'm pretty sure I looked like shit right now.

And then there was the metal armed man, standing in front of me with only black, dusty pants and a simple white shirt, staring at me, probably thinking he looked like shit too.

But he doesn't.

Instead he looks... broken.

It's almost as if someone had taken something out of him and stuffed in something else. He doesn't know who he is. He said it himself.

"So..." I began.

Nothing.

He just kept staring.

"I think I know you." He said.

"That's not possible. You've only just met me." I replied.

"But you seem familiar..." he trailed off.

I sighed. "Can you at least tell me your name?"

He looked like he was about to say something, but then he lost it. He stood there, thinking for the longest time. When he finally spoke, I felt pity for him.

"They call me Soldat."

They called him a Soldier. He was a nameless soldier.

"Well...what do you want me to call you?" I asked, hoping to make the situation a little lighter.

"Uh...um...I guess...um..."

"It can be anything." I interjected. "Whatever you want."

A smile came across his face. It was barely noticeable in the awful lighting, but it was worth it. It kind of made me smile too.

"I think I'm okay with Soldat." He began, "but thank you."

"Anytime. We're both stuck here anyways." I shrugged. The soldier looked at me with a little bit of joy.

"At least I have a friend now. I've been all alone for...well...I can't remember."

I was about to respond when the door opened and an unfamiliar person walked in. The mysterious human being was clothed in a lab coat and his or her face was covered.

"Valeriya Villanova." Demanded a feminine voice.

The soldier retreated back to his dark corner as I walked forward to meet the woman.

"Yes?" I responded.

The woman grasped my wrist, just as Madame B. had. "You are to follow me." She said in a monotone.

I didn't get to say goodbye for the second time today, but I would be seeing the soldier again. That I was sure of.