Chapter 7: Valeriya

Who is in control?

~Control, Halsey

The weight of my fears began to crush me. I didn't let myself cry until I was lead back to my cell by a nurse. I didn't even look at anyone that passed us in the halls. I just hung my head and let my unkempt brown hair dangle in front of my eyes.

The cell seemed warm and welcoming compared to what I had witnessed.

Anya. Poor Anya…

I imagined Natalia and Nastia hearing the news. I’m gone, Anya’s gone...what’s gonna happen to the other two?

I never thought I’d admit this...but I actually want Natasha and Natalia to escape. I wanted to make sure they got out of this hell hole before they became the next victims of the Red Room.

There would be no “next time.” No one else was gonna die…

“Who’s there?” asked a familiar voice in the dark.

The Soldier.

“Soldat, it’s just me.” I replied. The glint of metal that I saw in the corner of my eye signaled that he was right next to me. I turned to face him and his piercing blue eyes.

“Miss me?” I asked. He smiled, and gave a slight nod.

“My head hurts.” he whined.

I wanted to tell him to suck it up, but I couldn’t bring myself to take out the rage on him. Who knows what he had been through these past few days.

“I thought you were gone…” I said, politely changing to subject.

“I was...I think…” he replied, brushing a strand of his scraggly brown hair from his face. His stubble had just been shaved by the looks of him, and he smelled like shaving cream...something I haven't seen since I've been here.

I smiled. “You got amnesia or something?”

He didn't reply; he just stared out into space.  

“They did something. I don't know what but they did.” He whispered. I let out a sigh and leaned my back against the icy wall.

“They always do something, Soldat.”

“Did they do something to you.”

“Sort of.”

We embraced the silence. I was grateful that the Soldier didn't pry. He knew these people well enough to know that what they did to people was most often unspeakable.

“If you ever want to talk...just let me know.” He said.

“I will.”

“Это не конец.”

I let his words sink in. He was right. I wasn't going to let Madame B. get under my skin and control me. That's what she wants, and she's not going to get it.

“Thank you, Soldat.” I said. He didn't move, because he heard the footsteps. I slowly caught on, and quickly scrambled to the other side of the room. If Madame B. saw how close the Soldier and I were, he might be the next victim.

The footsteps stopped, and the sound of two people speaking in Russian filled my ears.

“Вы будете любить ее, Somondorov, она все, что вы ищете.” The feminine voice belonged to Madame B.

“Мы увидим, об этом…” the other voice belonged to someone I was unfamiliar with.

The words terrified me… what was this so called “Somondorov” looking for? Why did I fit his expectations?

The door opened, and the familiar white hair of my teacher could be seen out of the corner of my eye. I lowered my head, afraid to look into their eyes, especially after I knew what the devil of a woman was capable off.

I knew they were looking at me, since the Soldier had retreated to his dark corner where he would barely be seen.

Please l

“Look at me, Villanova.” Demanded the demon who murdered my friend.

I slowly rose my head, but I did not stare at Madame B. Instead, I looked into the dark eyes of a bald man with a beard, and slightly tanned skin. He was tall, buff, burly, and many more adjectives that I did not wish to think about.

“Hello, Miss Valeriya,” he began, “my name is Ivan Somondorov.”

“I don't care.” I snapped. He smiled maliciously.

“You were right Madame...she is feisty…” he nodded, as did my former teacher.

“What do you want you bastard.” I didn't think twice as I spit the words out. Madame B. smacked me on the back of the head.

“If you behave like an animal… I will make sure he treats you as one…” her whisper could be heard by even the Soldier. I heard his metal arm scrape the wall as he shifted.

Ivan looked over at the Soldier, then back at me. “I can't take her.” He said quickly.

Madame B. looked up. “Excuse me?” Her tone was laced with venom, and even Ivan looked scared for a moment.

Even if it was a moment, I was relieved to know he had a sliver of a soul. Anyone who was afraid of Madame B. at least had a portion of a soul.

“Her brain would not sustain the amount I would have to program her with. She would be incapable of bonding with just anyone. It would have to be the asset…” he gestured to the Soldier, who had come slightly into the light, and now his facial expression told me that he wished he hadn't made himself visible.

My teacher frowned. “You know we can't use him.” She stated very calmly.

I stood up from the floor and crossed my arms. I could barely hold myself up, but I couldn't show any sign of weakness. I was not an animal. I was a human being.

“I know...which is why I can't take her,” he stared again. The light of the hallway reflected the ceiling on his bald head as he left the room.

Madame B. turned to face me for the last time that day and said, “You think you've escaped? Rest assured that your little bond with the asset will drag you down to the depths of hell…” a cruel, twisted smile came across her face as she smacked me once again.

I collapsed onto the floor, and didn't get up until she left her room.

“Why are they so obsessed with you? It's almost as if she enjoys causing you pain.”

I turned to look at the Soldier. “Honestly, I have no idea.”