Chapter 10: Veronica (2014)

You left and went your own way, babe

~Sarah Smiles, Panic! at the Disco

I left without another word. I didn't care, and there was no way I was spilling my little secret today...not with Scott around and not when Giselle could get hurt in the process.

I hated my little visits here. Manhattan always seemed to scare me.

My great hatred for this place was one of the few reasons I rarely came.

That, and Scott.

Why did Gis have to date him?!?! She could have found a much better guy than that.

Screw you Scott. Why did you have to show up you motherfu-

“Vera!”

I kept walking. I didn't care who was calling my name… it likely wasn't important anyways.

“Veronica!”

I stopped in my tracks when I heard my name the second time.

“Veronica Nichole Avonalliv.” I knew that voice. I knew it way to well.

I spun around and looked into the stern eyes of Jessica Drew.

“If you're here to get me to join your little gang of misfits, you're wasting your time.”

Jessica smirked and adjusted her beanie so that it wouldn't blow off her head in the cold wind.

“That's funny. You think we actually want you.” She retorted, crossing her arms.

I let myself smile just enough for her to think I was offended. “You've tried before. Why wouldn't you try again? After all, you are the most stubborn asshole I've ever met.”

“That's not why I'm here, Vera.” She added quickly.

“Then why are we discussing this in broad daylight on the streets of New York where anyone could hear us.”

“Because people already know.”

I was about to respond when she walked over towards me quickly and grabbed my arm, yanking me into an alley.

“Do you have any idea how cliché this whole situation is?” I asked her in my usually smug tone. Jessica pressed me up against the wall, inches from my face.

“Wow, Jess. Just wow. You're going old school.”

“You're one to talk, grandma.”

“Hey! I'm Twenty-three!” My whining was silenced when she placed her filthy hand over my mouth. I didn't hesitate to clamp my teeth down on her skin and revel in the taste of blood.

Jessica jerked her hand away from me and held it with her other, trying to stop the blood.

“I hate you.” She muttered.

“Aw! Glad to see we have mutual hatred for one another. Now can I go?” I asked, placing my hand on my hip.

“You can go… but you'd be walking away from the biggest thing that you've been searching for.” Jessica’s black hair blew with the wind as she spoke.

“And what exactly would that be?” I asked, even though I knew full well what she was talking about.

The fall of S.H.I.E.L.D.

“I'm talking about  March 13, 2014. Seven months ago…”

I held my breath for a few moments. “What about it?” I asked, trying to keep up the facade that I was perfectly calm and comfortable.

“They found a body there… unfortunately for me it was still alive.” Jessica sat down on a trash can, taking off a piece of her shirt to wrap up her hand.

“Who?”

“Steven Grant Rogers.”

“So?”

Jessica buried her face in her hands for a moment, before just plain looking down at the floor.

“I looked at his medical files… it said he took a beating… three bullets. They're all untraceable, but what we do know is that they're Russian.” She whispered softly as a family of four walked past us.

“Russian?” I asked.

Jessica stood up, and brushed off her large coat. “We have someone with experience… but she doesn't have as much as you. You're the only one I know who can help us track this guy down and bring him in.”

I rolled my eyes, almost annoyed at her attempt to bring me in. The fact that my family was Russian and that my IQ was off the charts had caught the intrigue of S.H.I.E.L.D and a few of their agents. I've helped them before, but I refused to join them.

I had my own problems to worry about.

“And why ask me, of all people, to do this for you?” The question slipped out, and I wanted to take it back. I was just giving her more opportunities to convince me to help her.

“Because I trust you, Veronica.”

“Too bad. I'm not going to help you.” I ended the conversation and began to walk away.

“Vera, consider your options. I know you want to find out more about where you came from… and this is your chance.”

I whipped around and stared at Jessica Drew in her dark brown eyes. “I will never be one of you, Spider Woman.”

She genuinely looked hurt, and even I had to admit that I could taste the venom that laced my words. Jessica shifted a little, then let out a sigh.

“You're more stubborn than me, Veronica Avonalliv.”

All I did was nod and turn the other way towards the closest subway station. I needed to get out of Manhattan, somewhere I wouldn't be bothered.

I buried my hands in my pockets as I descended down the concrete steps.

A few signs blared departure times and costs of tickets. One arrangement of lettering caught my attention.

Brooklyn: 3:35

Five minutes. I have five minutes to decide to sneak onto a train or stay in Manhattan with no means of getting back to D.C.

It was worth a chance.

Maybe Brooklyn wouldn't have me all paranoid that someone might sneak up on me and ask for me to get involved with spies and shit even when the organization has fallen into catastrophic ruin.  

I quickly stepped behind a large lady who was obviously over dressed, and walked onto the subway train without anyone noticing.