Chapter 8: Valeriya

Mama, we all go to Hell.

~Mama, My Chemical Romance

Days passed, and Madame B. refused to talk to me. I had begun to grow accustomed to spending long periods of time in my cell, talking to the Soldier and awaiting to moment when Tamara would fetch me.

My thoughts no longer consisted of fearing Madame B. day and night. In fact, she hadn't visited me for a while now. According to Tamara, I was going to start my training soon.

I had no idea what I was to be training for, but I assumed that meant coming to face the white haired she-devil once more.

I hadn't realized it, but I had been furiously scratching at the walls for the past five minutes.

“You know, if you keep doing that, I'm not going to hesitate to knock you out.” the Soldier snapped from his little corner.

I came to my senses and pushed aside my thoughts. “Sorry…” I said, clearing my throat a little.

“Don't be. This place drives everyone insane anyways…” he added, standing up and stretching.

I leaned back against the wall and studied my little claw marks. Damn...I really needed to trim my fingernails.

“I need to get out of here.” it was the millionth time this week I had said this, but saying gave me some glimmer of hope. And even that was enough to keep me going.

“So you've said… and I hate to break it to you, but there's no escaping.” he walked over to me and held out his hand that wasn't made of shiny metal plates and cybernetics. I took it, and he helped me up.

I sighed, “and how do you know that?”

“I don't know...I just do…”

“Have you even tried to escape?”

“If I have, I wouldn't remember.”

“And why's that?”

“I dunno.”

I let out a groan in my frustration. “There's gotta be something…” I muttered.

The Soldier stepped back and walked back to his corner. His metal fingers brushed against the walls. He sat back down and buried his face in his hands. “You're going to be the one that drives me insane, Valeriya Villanova.”

I let out a small laugh. “And you will be the one that annoys me to death, Soldat.”

He smiled a little.

Suddenly, I heard the locks to our cell begin to click.

Shit.

I quickly sat down again and made myself look more disheveled by ruffling my wavy brown hair so that strands hung in front of my face.

The door creaked open, and a blast of cold air rushed into the cell. I shivered, since I was only clothed in the uniformed white tank and black exercise shorts.

Tamara stood there, her clipboard in her hand.

“Miss Villanova.” she said in her kind tone.

I got up, and hid the fact I was glad to get out of this dark cell once again. Tamara lead me as usual to her little lab where I had learned to think of as a sanctuary.

She pushed open her door, and I was greeted with the familiar scent of cleaning supplies and burning chemicals.

“So what are we doing today? More stretching? A jog around the room? Showing off an old dance routine?” I asked, a bright smile on my face.

Tamara sighed, “not exactly…”

Her voice was more solemn than usual.

“Uh, Tamara? What's wrong?” I asked.

My scientist friend opened a cabinet and pulled out a syringe. “You're not gonna like it…”

At least she was being honest.

But the sight of the syringe made me tense up a bit. “I thought I was done with that…” I whispered.

Tamara shook her head. “I'm afraid Madame B. has added a serum for one final test before your training begins.” She brushed a piece of black hair behind her ear and filled the syringe with an oddly colored liquid.

“Please don't fight it...that's only going to make it worse.” she whispered, and eyed the mirror on the wall…

Except it wasn't a mirror...it was a window. One-way glass.

I nodded my head in understanding. My teacher was watching…

“Just close your eyes, Valeriya…” Tamara said. I did as she said, and felt the sharp pain of the needle penetrating my skin.

My vision became blurry, and I could feel myself slipping further away from consciousness.

A loud scream erupted from my lips, and the darkness consumed me.

…………

Shadows.

Shadows once again danced through the scenery. Only this time, I wasn't strapped to a table. I was on a plane. A very advanced plane for it's time period.

Two figures were fighting each other, each both immensely strong and powerful as the other.

They wouldn't stop. Punch after lunch was thrown, but I was the one who felt the pain. Silent pleas of agony wrestled to get out of my mouth, but when I opened it nothing came out.

My stomach felt like it was on fire, burning from the inside out. Every breath it took only fueled the flames.

Finally, the shadows of the men dematerialised and so did the rest of the scenery until I was alone in a void.

…………

“Valeriya Villanova… I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.” the familiarity of the voice made me sit up immediately on the lab table.

Madame B. was standing right next to me, with Tamara behind her. Two KGB guarded the closed door.

There were two scars on Tamara’s face, and They appeared to be new.

“I can take Miss Villanova back to-” Tamara began, but Madame B. cut her off.

“No. I'll return her to her cell. You may resume your work, Dr. Fazniv.” she glared at the woman I had come to know as a friend.

Madame B. grabbed my hand and helped me off the metal table, which was the only kind gesture she had shown me in my many years in the Red Room.

She lead me through the hallways, but turned left where we should have turned right.

“Where are we going?” I asked, trying to slip out of her right grip.

“To meet your new teacher.”