A New Job

A New Job

-Hailey’s POV-

            Holy shit, what have I done! I just hugged the biggest upcoming boss in all of London, maybe even in all of England. All of these thoughts swarmed my head as I got into my car and drove off. Sitting at a stoplight I recognized a type of moistness I hadn’t felt in a long time. Tyler Marino turned me on. Fuck, this was going to be harder than I thought.

But hell, I got the job! I was working for the Marino mob of all people. I should be scared to death, I knew that, but I wasn’t. I was excited, fascinated even by organized crime. It did scare me, don’t get me wrong, but it took skill, which I admired.

Dec had told me about the opening at the bakery. I knew to some extent what Dec did, but not all the dirty little details. He had called me sometime last week saying that my background being an EMT and my artistic abilities would sure benefit whatever operation they were running, so I went for it. I wasn’t entirely new to the mob life after all.

I dialed Dad’s number in my phone as I drove home. “Hey Daddy, it’s me,” I said as he answered.

“Ah, my love, how are you sweetheart?” his warm voice asked.

“Good, Daddy. I’m doing really well. I just got a new job!” I shared.

“Ah good, darling, who with?” his tone letting on he was a bit puzzled. I did have a steady job when he talked to me yesterday.

“Oh Daddy, I just needed a change of pace. I’m going to work in the Marino’s bakery.” I held my breath as I waited to hear his answer. “Dec helped me out.”

“Hailey, amore mio (my love), why?” he groaned. “You know you could’ve just asked for a spot here at home. I’m sure Derrick would be more than happy to let you back here.” Derrick was my other older brother, he and Declan were twins. While Declan moved to the Marino’s gang Derrick took over the Beretta side of things.

“Daddy, this isn’t about the mob. This is about the bakery.” I sighed, he had always supported my choices before.

“Darling, I just wanted to make sure. You have my blessing sweetie, but know you’re always going to be a Beretta, however hard you try to escape it.”

“Thank you Daddy. I’ll see you for family dinner Sunday.” I took a deep breath. It was going to be okay after all.

“Okay. See you soon. Take care Hailey.” I hung up and drove the rest of the way home.

            It’s about 6:30 am on Saturday as I pull up to the curb to park my car in front of the bakery. Tyler was standing just inside the front door waiting for me. As he sees me pull up he walks out and opens the driver’s side door for me and I turn off the car.

            “Good morning Hailey,” he says, motioning for me to get out of the car.

            “Morning Mr. Marino. Thank you,” I nod, taking the hand he offers me.

            “Hailey, call me Tyler, please. Mr. Marino is my father.” His voice was stern, there wouldn’t be much negotiation.

            “Sorry.”

            “Come on in,” he opens the door for me. “We have a baking schedule laid out for you already. Today is Saturday, so we need to get the pastries started then you’ll finish up the special orders that need to be picked up today,” he explains as I follow him behind the counter. “Go ahead and wash your hands,” he points to a sink.