Birds of a Feather

In a sea of dirty brown heads, Jian Yi's blond hair always seemed to glitter. It was impossible not to notice that shimmering golden blob, even from far. So unlike his own anonymous black. His pale skin too, unlike his own tanned one. His wrists, narrow and graceful. His body, slender and delicate. So unlike his own rippled arms and calloused knuckles.  And most of all, his smile. He Tian felt that Jian could probably blind the sun into shame: so gorgeous and innocent was his smile. Every time he looked at Jian, he felt something tighten in his chest. It was not love so much as it was jealousy, jealousy that Jian Yi's innocence was preserved, while his own was not. 

The First Born. That is how these things were supposed to go. The first born got to inherit the kingdom in the days of old, and in 21st century China, they got to inherit the mafia ring. How Mrs. Jian managed to shelter her son from it all was something he never could figure out. Once, when he was young, he had even asked his brother. "The Boss really loves her": is what his brother had replied back. "Does that mean our father does not love our mother?" He Tian had wondered. His brother had ruffled his hair, and said "We are the underlings, He Tian. We don't really get to do what we want."

It was may be because he was an underling, but He Tian had known him long before Jian Yi even noticed his existence. How could he not, when his entire life was designed to be around Jian Yi: admitted into the same kindergarten and later into the same elementary school, so his brother could hover around without arousing suspicion. It was convenient how they were of the same age. He Tian noted the convenience, but refused to infer more from it: inferences such as how it was probably not a coincidence, but was carefully designed. He refused to consider the possibility that he might not even have existed if Jian Yi was not conceived.

And this is how He Tian had started middle school as well, his choice decided basis where Jian Yi would be going. Now that he was 14, he was considered to be able to do active surveillance, meaning that he was allowed to establish contact and take actions on his own, instead of simply reporting back to HQ. "Old enough", he had been told, and so he had gone and bought his first pack of cigarette: 'Old enough, old fucking enough', he had muttered to himself, as he had taken the first drag in his new empty apartment and choked on the smell of nicotine and smoke. 

"I am gonna take that fucking grin off his face", is what He Tian had decided then. He knew he could not fail on his first mission: he had to protect Jian Yi at all cost. But, there was a loop hole. Allowed to establish contact meant he could hang around with him. In fact, it was encouraged so that the target does not get suspicious. He was going to establish contact all right. He was going to become his friend, the most trusted person. And then, he was going to tear his heart apart. He was going to make Jian Yi see how bleary the world really is. How cruel his own father, how ugly his mother, and how helpless and pathetic himself. Jian Yi and him were birds of a feather, and he was going to make sure that Jian looked like one.

At least that was the plan, till they played basketball one day.