That Game of Basket Ball

He Tian knew all that was there to know about the blonde's activities, what he liked and disliked, and also, whom he liked. He debated how to make the first contact. 

First of all, was required a change in his image. His kindergarten and elementary school appearance was designed to blend in. The kind of boy that nobody took a second a look at, that nobody missed at a birthday party or during play time. That needed to change if he was going to establish contact. A visit to the salon, and that part was easily taken care of.

Next, came the question of how to actually introduce himself. Go and strike up a conversation directly with Jian OR get friendly with Zhang Zheng Xi and thus get invited to join: both the options presented one big dilemma: how to create a situation that would naturally require him to introduce himself. They were not in the same class, nor in the same project group. 

So, He Tian decided to hang around the basket ball court, where he knew the blonde would make his appearance soon: if there was one physical activity Jian Yi could do without injuring himself in the process, it was basket ball. He Tian did not know how a clumsy ass guy like him managed it.

He Tian settled down on the edge of the court, prepared to just watch. He had decided to approach Jian post the game and comment on how good a player he is. But, that was not quite how it went. 

"Hey! You there, black haired boy! Yes, you!" 

He Tian was startled to find one of the seniors calling out to him. 

"Umm, yeah?"

"This is a junior vs senior match here, and the Junis are one player short. So, join them."

"Umm... But Basketball is a bit, umm..."  He was cut short before he could finish.

"You are tall enough, and look quite fit. I am sure you can play. Better than one player missing. It's a friendly match, but we can't start with one player short. Come on! Who cares if the Junis lose anyway..." The senior laughed.

He Tian sighed inwardly. He did not want to draw attention to himself if he could help it. But, then, what better grounds to bond over than a shared game of basket ball! He decided to put his best into the game: it would be a much easier job to chat Jian up if he looked at him as a basket ball ace.

And so the game began.

He Tian had expected Jian to be good, he had watched him play before after all. But, being in the same court as him was a different matter all together. His body, so delicate otherwise, seemed to move like a snake, his slenderness giving him an advantage of speed that more bulky players did not have. Blond hair glistening in the sun, pale skin dewy with sweat, angled eyes sharp and watchful, Jian seemed to him like some fox-spirit, mercurial and ethereal, ready to vanish at a moment's notice. Pretty boy: He Tian thought in his head: No wonder that Zhang Zheng Xi ate out of his hand

He Tian almost dropped the ball when Jian passed it to him. He was paying more attention to the player than to the game. However, it took him less than a second to recover. His reflexes had been trained for too long to go awry. He easily weaved in and out of the senior's defence and scored. His team mates let out whoops of joy and surrounded the two of them. Caught in the group hug, his arms linked with his team mates, and jumping in unison, He Tian was surprised when he realised that he himself was grinning as broadly as the others.

Now is my chance: He Tian steeled himself as the game ended and the players moved towards the shed. He had strategically positioned himself just behind Jian: thank him for the pass and... His musings were cut short as Jian suddenly turned around to face him. 

"I did not know you played basket ball", the blonde smiled happily at him.

"Well, we have never met before, have we?" He Tian replied, his smile as charming as could be.

"But, we have!" Jian looked confused, "Well, at least not formally, but, have we not been in the same elementary school before this? I could swear it was you... Or, am I wrong?"

This time He Tian really dropped the ball he was carrying back to the shed. In the time that it took him to gather the ball up, he had his face composed into a smile again. But, his insides were screaming in surprise. How, how, how did Jian notice me! I did my very best to blend into the background! 

"Ah! Have we? My bad!", He said out aloud. 

The blonde beamed happily back at him, "Oh, it's all right. You probably don't remember me because I don't stand out much. But, I am sure you remember Zhang Zheng Xi? He used to be good in athletics, was the star of the field and tracks team."

He Tian nodded in silence. 'don't stand out'??  Did the blonde really have no self awareness?

"Yeah, I used to hang around him." Jian continued, "Do you remember me now? No? Anyway, so I was right. For a moment I thought I got the wrong person. Though you looked more like a nerd than a jock at that time, what with your glasses and goody-two-shoes hairstyle. Quite a change, and refreshing, I must admit..."

"How... How come you remember me?" He Tian blurted out. This was not going as he had planned, but he needed to know if Jian knew anything, suspected anything.

"Ah, I saw you once reading a shoujo manga." Jian said. He Tian did not expect this reply, and blushed crimson in response. There had indeed been a phase when he had allowed himself to dream of love and romance, the mushiest kind. Jian Yi continued, seemingly oblivious to his embarrassment, "You always had this quietly satisfied look on your face when you read them. Zhang Zheng Xi thought you looked like you need someone to fall in love with..."

He Tian continued to stare at him, not sure what to say, and trying his best to will the red in his cheeks to go away. 

Jian smirked, jerking his head towards the group of girls who were openly giggling and pointing at He Tian, "Don't worry. Now that you have aced this game, I am sure you will have no dearth of fan following."

And then a sudden, honest smile: "Anyway, glad to finally have had the chance to speak to you, He Tian. Let's be friends." 

And, with that golden haired boy went off, leaving He tian in stunned silence.