Locked Doors

He Tian quietly followed the redhead out of the bedroom. Last night was a blur. He could not remember anything clearly. Neither did he want to. His head was throbbing with a dull ache, and his eyes hurt to look at light. But, as he caught sight of his face on the small mirror hung on the back of the bedroom door, he saw a silly grin plastered wide over his face. 

He never knew it was possible to be so badly hung over and so deliriously happy at the same time.

He forced his dull senses to focus on the boy before him. He had not changed out of his sleeping attire: a modest, somewhat faded, sleeveless tee, and a pair of elastic shorts. The boy was busy at the kitchen counter top, bringing out plates and whatnot, so He Tian let his eyes roam over him: sleeveless tee suited him well, but what drew his attention was how, every time he reached for the cupboard above, his shorts hitched up, exposing a prominent tan line, that gave way to milk-white skin: Thank God for overhead cupboards!

As if the redhead could hear his thoughts, he tugged at his shorts, before turning and coming over to the small dining table at which He Tian sat.

He banged a plate of sandwiches before him. Bang, came a glass of water. He threw a strip of aspirins beside it and then slumped down in the chair opposite him.

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" He Tian smiled, reaching for the aspirins.

"Don't call me sweetheart", the redhead huffed.

"Oh, well, You took care of me, and now you have made me breakfast, so....", He Tian choked mid-sentence as he took a gulp from the glass to swallow his aspirins, "Agh! Why's it so sour?"

"It's lime juice, you dick! Helps with hang over, doesn't it?", The other boy smirked.

"Give a guy some warning!"

"It's not my fault if you are an idiot", the redhead replied.

"Did you just call me an idiot! I have straight A's all through out, I will have you know... Oh, well, I will just let that slide this one time, since you made me breakfast and all.", he said aloud, and took a bite of the sandwich. He had not expected much from it, so it came as a surprise how delicious it was. He sneaked a glance at the contents inside: did not look anything special, how does it taste so good then... In fact...

"There's not even any meat in it!" He wondered out aloud.

"Eggs are expensive enough. I guess a prince like you would not know about that", The redhead was clearly annoyed.

He Tian looked around him, eyes taking in, for the first time, the details of the interiors: faded curtains, cheap, second hand furniture, paints chipped here and there. And yet, in spite of all that, it felt like home.

"Ah! Did not mean it that way! I mean, how is it so tasty even without any meat in it?"

"Hmmph", the redhead muttered, but as he got up from the table, He Tian caught a glimpse of smile on his face, "I like to cook", he said simply, back still turned to him. He Tian stared transfixed, wishing the other boy would face him, and let him see his smile.

A slight pause... The redhead spoke again, his voice gentle and meditative, "So, what now... school's not happening today... Umm... Wanna watch a movie? What kind of movie do you prefer?"

"Anything", He Tian blurted out, "Anything is good." Then regaining composure, "Anything is good to pass time"

"Well, I just mostly have actions and thrillers anyway. And some sci-fi... Hmm... Let's see..." The redhead continued shuffling through his CDs.

He Tian could not care less what they watched. He had just realised that there was only one sofa in the house, it faced the TV and was delightfully small...

Why He Tian does what he does (a 19 Days Fanfic) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें