Tryout - Combat

Disclaimer: I do not own RWBY. If I did I would get the top five most popular RWBY fanfic writers and hire them to work on episode scripts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(Y/N) Grey."

I feel my face heat up when I look at his picture. Oh Oum he's gorgeous! Shaking my head I berate myself for thinking that. Come on Winter! This kind of behavior is not why General Ironwood choose you as his replacement. Focus! Looking back over the application I realize there is a lack of information on him. All the basic things such as height, weight, schooling, etc are all present and accounted for but information like semblance or weapon type are all blank. Even the family section is left blank except the next of kin which has only one person named. Usually an application this empty is not even considered for a job like secretary let alone one of the suggestions for lieutenant/assistant to the headmaster of one of the four best schools in the entirety of Remanent. Yet here it is. Looking down at the bottom of the paper I see a note saying "recommended" on it and is signed by Ironwood. Flipping through the other applications I notice that none of them have a note like (Y/N) does. Why would General Ironwood recommend this person above all these others based on a blank application? Well whatever is going on I must still keep a level of professionalism and not just pick this (Y/N) character based on his looks. No matter how much I want to run my hands through those beautiful (H/C) locks. My checks gain a blush at the thought. Pull it together Winter! You are the headmaster of Atlas Academy! Act like a headmaster! I look through the rest of the applicants and find two others that are very much capable of being the lieutenant/assistant. I place them on top of (Y/N)'s application and then get comfortable in my chair. I sit there and fidget in the chair for a little bit. Just one more look at (Y/N) wouldn't hurt right?

Time Skip A Couple of Days

I walk into the battlegrounds and my eyes narrow in on (Y/N) instantly. Oh Oum he's better in person! I regain my composer I check out- LOOK OVER his attire. He wearing the basic Atlesian soldier uniform just without any colored highlights. Instead of having a sword or gun like your average soldier has and in its place is a... cord? Odd but to each his own. My eyes move to the applicant to his right and look him over. His wild mane of brown hair runs almost all the way to the ground. His attire is that of the traditional samurai. His two swords are at his side and as I approach he bows. To the left of (Y/N) stands a black knight. He rests his hands on the hilt of his sword. The weapon is large enough it could be considered a club instead of a sword and the sheath is so large it can act as a shield. Both of the two are a head taller than (Y/N) and are built larger too. In hindsight this may not be a fair fight for (Y/N). Maybe I should have just chosen these two for this tryout. Oh well too late now. If he fails he fails. Time to start this.

"Attention!" At this, all of them shot to attention. "You are all here to try out for the role as my lieutenant and assistant at Atlas Academy. Your very first test is a "trial by combat". Whoever wins this will move on. If that person fails then the other two will be called back here and go through this trail again until I have my lieutenant. Understand?" The brown haired samurai shouts out first.

"Understood." Then his counterpart follows suit.

"Yes, ma'am." (Y/N) simply nods. I narrow my eyes at him.

"I said understand?" He nods again without uttering a word. "You are on thin ice soldier." He doesn't flinch or even blink at my words. He may be insubordinate but at least he's standing his ground. "Fine then. Each of you will stand at different ends of the room and when the signal is given you will fight." The knight spoke up.

"What is the signal?"

"You should know when it happens." With that I head off to the observation deck. Once there I see that (Y/N) is at the northern wall, the knight in the south-west corner, and the samurai in the south-east corner. Once everyone is settled but before they can ready their weapons I throw an explosive into the center of the room. All three show various levels of surprise before jumping to action. The samurai pulls his katana from its sheath and a bolt of lightning shoots out in an attempt to hit the others. The knight blocks it with his shield and (Y/N) jumps out of the way of the lightning. Then the samurai rushes forward and the knight goes to meet him though is weighed down by his armor. I am surprised however that he is moving as fast as he is. I will have to take note of that. The two's blades meet and sparks fly. From the way the two are glaring at each other from across their blades I assume that they are not strangers to each other. The two are caught off guard when a cord wraps around the two blades and pulls. The knight's grip is too strong for the blade to be pulled from him but do to his weight from the armor he topples forward. The samurai's katana however is yanked for his hands. (Y/N) catches the katana and successfully uses it to block a couple of bullets fired from the sheath of samurai's wakizashi. (Y/N) with the katana in hand moves to the side and makes his way out of the way of the now upright knight's attack. Samurai then raises his arm and the sword is pulled out of (Y/N)'s hands before he can do anything. The katana then lands back in Samurai's hand and he rushes forward to fight the others. Knight has (Y/N) cornered and is constantly swinging his sword at (Y/N) in an onslaught. (Y/N) is currently dodging each attack surprisingly well. I lean forward gripping the rail in the observation deck. Knight is able to bash (Y/N) with his shield. When his head meets the wall behind him I grip the rail tightly. Wait why am I getting so concerned about him? He is just like any other applicant. Shaking my head I go back to the match.