Do Starfish Dream of Flying?

Author's Note:
Thanks to everyone for reading!
Before you jump to conclusions, I wrote this fic BEFORE  my friends told me to read Dirty Laundry, so anything you might think is a reference to that is actually pure coincidence.
Lance's last name is Sanchez because of a head canon I have. Lance's name is McClain in the original Voltron but his surname hasn't been confirmed in the reboot. Anyways, enough with my rambling! I hope you enjoy these dorks.
___________________________

There were two things that Keith disliked the most about college.

1. His roommate's taste in music

Shiro was a cool guy, and in all respect one of the best people Keith had the pleasure of socializing with, but if he has to listen to one more ukulele cover of a cheesy love song, Keith has decided that the couch in the commons seemed like a decent place to sleep.

2. Sanchez

There is not a way that Keith could describe Sanchez in good light. They did not bother to socialize outside of the Astronomy lecture hall, where everything seemed to be a war between the two of them. In fact, the only reason Keith knew his name at all was because the man talked so much that even the professor had to step in and ask for  silence.

Keith could not stand Sanchez.

Thankfully, he did not run into the dreaded trash of a man often, due to the fact that fate decided to be kind to Keith for once and place them in different dormitory buildings. That meant that the dorm commons were free of Sanchez and Keith could curl up in the corner of the couch  and type away an essay without being interrupted. At least in theory, that would have been the case.

Currently, Keith could not even bother to concentrate on his essay thanks to the constant buzzing of Shiro's phone on the coffee table. The owner of said phone eyed it reluctantly before reading the texts visible on the lock screen. He set the phone to the side without bothering to reply, yet not even a second had passed before the cursed thing buzzed again.

Keith shut his laptop. "Could you please make that stop!?"

His roommate sighed, picking up the phone. "I'm afraid that is not an option."

"Why? Can't you just mute it?" Keith frowned.

"I'm expecting a call from Allura in about an hour," Shiro explained calmly to his irritated friend. "I really do not want to miss this one."

The way Shiro said it, he was adamant on answering this specific call, and Keith did not want to mess that up for him. Instead, he tried suggesting, "Why don't you just reply then?"

"It's not that easy," He scrolled through the unread messages without unlocking the phone. "When Lance is ranting, not even aliens can stop him."

"What is he ranting about?" Keith asked.

"Stars or something like that."

Keith's eyes narrowed. "If its about stars, maybe I could find a way to shut him up."

Shiro raised an eyebrow in amusement at Keith's suggestion. He proceeded to unlock his phone, passing it to his roommate over the barricade of textbooks between them. "Suit yourself, just don't read my texts."

Keith took the phone, nodding in acknowledgement of Shiro's request before scrolling through the unread messages in the open skype chat.

Sir Lancelot: dude

Sir Lancelot: my bro

Sir Lancelot: pal

Sir Lancelot: do u think starfish drem of flying????

Sir Lancelot: cuz like

Sir Lancelot: they look @ th stars

Sir Lancelot: and maybe they think

Sir Lancelot: "hey... i wanna join em"

Sir Lancelot: like an intergalactical star rave f storts

Keith has to stop and re-read the messages multiple times before he could even comprehend what the other man was getting at.

Sir Lancelot: bro i saw u read this

Sir Lancelot: im having a cRISIS

honey nut Shirios: starfish dont have the psychological capability to think

Sir Lancelot: ok nut what if they did???

honey nut Shirios: but they dont

Sir Lancelot: but WHAT IF!!?????

honey nut Shirios: stars are just gas, why would starfish WANT to "join them"

Sir Lancelot: ur not space dad

Sir Lancelot: WHAT DID U DO TO SPACE DAD!!?????

Keith frowned, reading all that caps lock made his head hurt. "Space dad?" he turned to Shiro, questioning him.

The question's recipient just sighed. "The planetarium club tends to have a running joke of calling me dad."

Keith nodded, in a state between amusement and confusion, before turning his gaze back to the phone screen.

honey nut Shirios: he lent me his phone

honey nut Shirios: b/c he doesnt want to talk to u

Sir Lancelot: bETRAYAL

Sir Lancelot: who dis then??????

honey nut Shirios: his roommate

Sir Lancelot: ooohhhhhh

Sir Lancelot: u must b Keith then

honey nut Shirios: he mentioned me?

Sir Lancelot: ya

Sir Lancelot: he says u wont stop listening 2 that weird rock station

Sir Lancelot: that eh cant handle 1 mor min of Louder thn the DJ

honey nut Shirios: well i cant handle any more ukulele

Sir Lancelot: IKR!??

Sir Lancelot: this is an interventio n

Sir Lancelot: no moar ukulele

Sir Lancelot: anyway heres wonderwall

Keith visibly choked on bubbling laughter and had to look around the commons to make sure nobody saw.

honey nut Shirios: if were stating interventions then i gotta add

Sir Lancelot: SPILL

honey nut Shirios: he puts his milk b4 the cereal

Sir Lancelot: SAVAGEEEEEeeeee

Sir Lancelot: IMMA TELL MOM

honey nut Shirios: he also puts ketchup on his eggs

Sir Lancelot: thats not that bad

honey nut Shirios: r u kidding!? its disgusting

Sir Lancelot: ketvhup on mac n chez is disgusting

honey nut Shirios: Shiro would disagree

Sir Lancelot: WHYYyYYyyYY ????????

Before Keith could reply, the incoming call screen appeared with a photo of none other than Allura staring back at him. The ringtone alerted Shiro, who's head snapped in its direction faster than Lance could type. Keith reluctantly handed the phone back to Shiro, who answered the call almost immediatley, stepping out to allow his friend some peace and quiet while he studied.

He would not admit this to just anyone, but Keith rather enjoyed his short exchange with Lance. Now that there was no distraction, he could focus on his essay at last.