That One Time Lance Was A Gymnast

"I am an adult and I can make my own decisions," Lance crossed his arms, eyes narrowed at the club president who was currently holding the only bottle of wine in the room.

"You are not very known for your good judgement, Lance," Shiro tilted his body away from Lance, keeping the bottle as far away from him as he could. "I refuse to give alcohol to those underage."

"Come on, man," Lance whined, "It's only one more year."

"Go drink your grape juice, Lance," Corran shooed him away. "You ain't getting anything from Shiro."

Lance huffed, taking a seat on one of the benches. The planetarium club was putting together some food and drinks to celebrate the new year. Such a celebration would usually involve booze of some kind, but after the Lance New Years' Incident, Shiro swore to keep any and all alcohol as far away from that man as he could. In its stead, the club president set a rule that all underage members in the club would drink grape juice instead of wine.

"This is a dumb rule," The sun-kissed man grumbled from his spot on the bench.

Shiro just shook his head, "You are the reason that rule had to be made in the first place, so you have no right to complain."

"I dent the hood of ONE car-"

"It was the university Dean's car," Shiro interrupted him, putting the wine bottle inside a bag, where Corran had stuffed more drinks and food for the evening. "We had to use the club funds to pay for it."

Lance had learned long ago that fighting with Shiro over money or any type of fees was a bad idea. If it was not for his previous experiences of such fights with Shiro, Lance might have defended his right to pay for his own fees, instead, he changed the subject. "That was a sick flip though, you gotta admit."

"Not quite Olympic gymnast material," Corran spoke up. "I would have given it a 6."

"What!? That flip was at LEAST a 7!" Lance jumped to his feet almost immediately.

"It was at least a pair of broken legs and a concussion and you were lucky enough to have survived with only a twisted ankle," Shiro zipped the bag shut, staring right at Lance with condescending eyes. "I don't want anybody else jumping off of ledges, balconies, roofs, or even the top bunk."

"Yes dad..." Lance lowered his gaze, filled with guilt over his own terrible choices.

Shiro sighed, shaking his head. "Come on, just help me set up outside. The others should be back soon."

The three men set up some blankets on the snow-covered courtyard, clad in sweaters and even more blankets as they organized the food and drink at arms' reach. It was pretty cold for a winter evening, dark as oblivion aside from a few street lights illuminating the courtyard and the hundreds of stars above their heads.

The first to show up was Hunk with three boxes of warm pizza cradled in his arms. He set them down in the middle of the blanket layout, taking a seat between Lance and Corran. He reached for the drinks, getting his hand slapped when his hand got a little too close to Shiro's wine bottle. Instead, he grabbed one of the individual grape juice bottles, backing up to the edge of the blanket with three pizza slices stacked on top of each other.

Allura and Keith did not take long to join the rest of the group, hoarding two bags full of sparklers and cheesy new years' decorations that Allura had insisted on getting. They make a spot for themselves between Shiro and Lance, immediately digging into the increasingly cooling food.

There was a warm feeling in the pit of Lance's stomach as his friends laughed to one of his silly jokes or when he put on a pair of ridiculous shades shaped like the numbers of the new year. It was the sort of feeling that made him forget just how far he was from home. For a moment, there was nothing else in the world other than these people, the cold winter air, and the stars above their heads.