Crawling In My Skin

The planetarium was oddly silent after Keith's sudden outburst. Shiro shared a glance with Allura, who mirrored the same concerns that he held. After waiting a few moments, he decided it had been long enough and climbed the dark staircase in pursuit of the train wreck at a much calmer pace than the other two left with.

Shiro was not sure what to expect, but it surely was not Lance face down on the snow mumbling the muffled lyrics to Crawling. Sighing softly, Shiro kneeled beside Lance.

"You're going to catch a cold if you stay like that," Shiro spoke up, patting the man on the back.

Lance ceased his singing for a moment and turned his head to peek at Shiro. "Leave me to die of hypothermia. There is no reason left to live."

"Singing Linkin Park won't fix anything. Come on," Shiro stood, pulling Lance to his feet in the process.

Lance shook the snow off his jacket weakly, shoving his hands in his hoodie pockets to preserve warmth. Shiro furrowed his brow in pity of the man's state. "He knows..." Lance muttered under his breath. "He knows and I think he believes this was all some master plan against him." Shiro could feel the helplessness in his voice. Lance was a lot of things, but contrary to popular belief he was not superficial. If Lance was into something, he dived deep into it. Everything was go big or go home when it involved Lance Sanchez.

"Keith is not unreasonable," Shiro explained to Lance. "He was just in shock, that is all." Lance did not seem very assured by this statement, so Shiro continued. "Here's what I propose. Go back to the planetarium and get some food. I'll speak to Keith and clear things up. Sound good?" Lance nodded in understanding and headed back inside the building, humming a melody under his breath. "And no more Linkin Park!" Shiro called after him, causing the man to shut up and quickly close the door behind him.

On the other hand, Keith was exactly where Shiro expected to find him, locked up in the bathroom, muttering to himself. He heard the dull thud of Keith's fist colliding with the sink counter, followed by a much louder sound of his foot against the door.

"You alright?" He asked with the softest voice he could muster.

Keith choked out an "I'm fine," keeping the door closed between them like a barricade.

Shiro sighed. "Lance is not the type to play with people's feelings. He would never do something out of spite."

After a pause, Keith opened the door, fixing his eyes on Shiro's. "So... I messed up...?"

"No, you were just upset. He is too," Shiro explained. "I caught him muttering one of those depressing songs you like while lying face down on the snow, begging for hypothermia to take him."

Keith could not help but chuckle slightly at the mental image. "That does sound like him."

"Well, I'm gonna head back and make sure he's alright. Text me if you need anything," Shiro stood, leaving Keith alone with his thoughts.

After what Shiro said, Keith realized that he may have overreacted at the whole situation. He thought of how bad Lance must have felt after all the terrible things Keith told him. The man must be hating himself and Keith did not even bother to listen to his side of the story. He felt like such an idiot, tightening his grip on the edge of the bathroom counter.

Keith turned his head, eyeing his phone which peeked a corner out of his winter coat. He had to apologize, somehow, and this was the only way he knew how.

To: Lance☆
Look man

To: Lance☆
I'm really sorry about the way I acted

To: Lance☆
My reaction was unnecessary

To: Lance☆
I just want to apologize and say

To: Lance☆
That I would like to start over

To: Lance☆
If you still want to talk to me, that is

Keith sent the last message, setting the phone down on top of the short bookshelf and waiting for a reply. He did not expect a reply to come, but he surely hoped for it. Whatever it is he had with Lance, the Lance he truly knew, not his stupid classmate in Astronomy, was something he wanted to salvage if he could.

From: Lance☆
No

Keith froze, staring at the message that sat at the bottom of his screen.

From: Lance☆
I wuld not like to start over b/c that means I would have to start frm a clen slate

From: Lance☆
And I already kno so much bout u

From: Lance☆
So I wuld like to keep talking to u

From: Lance☆
nd get to kno u better

From: Lance☆
Hopefully

From: Lance☆
b/c it was never my intention for u to hate me

To: Lance☆
Deal

To: Lance☆
Just pls don't get hypothermia, you idiot

From: Lance☆
DID SHIRO TELL U THAT!?

Keith snickered in amusement. This relationship, whatever they had, was not something he wanted to lose any time soon, and he would fight to keep it as such.