Chapter 1 - Elementary, My Dear Watson

“Laura? Can you hear me?” A faint feminine voice asked within the cruel world of reality. I slowly opened my eyes, and saw blurry images moving around. I refocused a bit more, and saw a young woman with brown hair tied up in a ponytail, brown eyes and a green tabard over her lime green top and trousers; on her feet she wore Nike trainers.

I was in hospital.

“Oh my God,” I whispered in an ugly rasp, putting a hand to my throbbing head, and heard at least 3 sighs of relief.

I turned my head against the grainy hospital pillow, and saw my three best friends: Charlie, Jasmine, and Rose.

Charlotte Megren’s got this awesome right hook, just encase someone gets on her nerves – she’s the martial arts girl out of us four; Jasmine Luka has a talent for music – she can sing and play almost every instrument in the book; and Rose Hale looks like Taylor Swift, with her curly blonde hair and blue eyes. If someone makes fun of her, Charlie’s found close to the next fight.

“Oh, and Joseph’s on his way,” The nurse added, ticking something off on her clipboard.

I groaned in annoyance, as my friends giggled. Joe, my twin brother, is more of a friend you can’t get rid of, more than a brother. If he wasn’t related, I’d say he looks slightly cute, with his dark blue eyes like mine. He dyed his hair jet black the other day, whereas I left mine alone – naturally black.

I call him Joey, because it gets on his nerves – he looks like Joey Tribbiani from Friends, with his naturally tousled hair spiking up. That, and it really annoys him – which is hilarious for me. He calls me Monica, as if to get me back; but it’s never worked once with success.

“Laura? Laura?” Joey asked frantically, looking impatiently around the room. His eyes found mine and he jogged up to my bed, slowing to a casual walk when he was close to the bed. He nodded at my friends, who giggled helplessly as they walked away.

“Hey, Monica. What’s up?” Joey asked, smirking.

“The sky,” I replied sweetly, sticking my tongue out at him childishly.

He wacked his palm lightly on his forehead, rolling his eyes. “Duh, no shi-”

He saved his swearing in a cough, seeing the nurse scowl at him.

Ha. He deserved it. He was my twin brother, after all.

He got out his BlackBerry and my ringtone, ‘Telephone by Lady Gaga’ started playing from the table beside me.

He fake-grimaced, as I knew he didn’t like Lady gaga – he thought she was an ‘it’, or not even human with the amount of sex changes she apparently had.

I groped around for it, grabbing my phone and pressing the button to turn the music off.

I pressed it with a grin, as Joey sighed in relief.

I read his new text: No shit Sherlock. J

I clicked reply, and started texting him back, even though he was right in front of me. But my throat did ache, and I couldn’t be bothered to talk what I was going to text:

Elementary my dear Watson + dnt swear. Bad lingo jks lol xxx

I clicked send, and Joey’s phone buzzed in his hands.

He snorted darkly, smirking at me.

I fluttered my long eyelashes mock-innocent, as he rolled his eyes.

“Umm, so what’s the diagnostics, nurse?” Joey asked, slipping is phone back into his jeans pocket with a lopsided smile.

The nurse turned around and caught his eyes. Her head tilted, and her eyes slightly glazed over.

“She’s fine,” She said in a daze. “We just need to take a blood sample to double check her red blood cell count is normal,”

She bustled out, and came back with a tiny needle.

I squeaked and closed my eyes, while Joey held my hand.

See, I actually hate needles – I have a phobia of them. Ever since I was little, I’ve always ran away from them. I had to take my vaccines via tablets in my food and drink.

The nurse took some blood, and we were let out, after Joey filled out a medical form for me.

“What was that about?” I asked, walking to his car.

“What was what about?” He asked back, unlocking his car with the keys in his hand.

I frowned, pulling the door open and getting in the car.

Joey sat down in the drivers’ seat and put the keys in the ignition; at the same time, putting a CD into his new CD player. He grinned, as my favourite band, You Me At Six came blasting through his speakers.

I smirked at him, as we drove out of the parking lot, back home.