Chapter 4 - The New Boy

A car horn beeped outside, and I looked outside from my bedroom window. Charlie's black Mini Cooper was parked on the kerb, with Jasmine and Rose in the back seats on their phones.

I came outside to door to meet them, as Charlie rolled down the drivers' window.

"Hey, Laura, wanna catch a lift with us?"

"Hey, umm, I'm gunna take my car this morning. Can I talk to you later?" I asked in a whisper.

"Sure. What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'll drive behind you if you want,"

Charlie nodded. "Okay. You alright?"

Was I? Maybe I was ill...

I nodded absently, then went back inside the house to get my keys and bag.

"Joe?" I called on my way out, on the front door step.

"I'm getting in my car, God," A voice echoed into my mind.

I frowned as I looked behind me, then shrugged it off as I walked to my car on the driveway, next to Joe's.

Sure enough, he was sitting in his car; starting up his engine.

I got into my own car and started it up, smiling at Joey next to me through the two sheets of glass.

"Later," The voice said into my mind again, as Joey smiled and reversed into the road; driving off.

I followed Charlie's car to school, and we parked in our usual places in the school parking lot; Charlie first and me coming along behind her.

Joey had driven off, so he'd have already gotten here ages ago.

I turned off my engine, slung my bag over my shoulder and got out my car; locking it behind me.

"Hey, you okay? Charlie said you weren't looking your usual, mad self," Rose asked, falling into step beside me as we walked to our first class of the day.

I nodded silently. "Just exhausted," I mumbled.

She nodded, looking at me with concerned eyes for a moment, then, as it she couldn't hold it in any long, burst out, "O-m-g have you seen the new guy yet?" She gushed, getting into the old routine we all knew and loved.

"Yeah! He's so cute. Word has it, he's in our class now!" Charlie exclaimed excitedly, grinning like a mad woman who'd just had a 'Eureka!' moment.

I rolled my eyes at the thought, cracking a small smile.

They continued to talk about how good looking the new guy was, all the way to our Maths class.

We sat down, all within talking distance of each other, as the rest of our class bustled in; asking their friends I they'd done the homework and what we had next.

"Mind if I sit here?" Someone asked next to me.

"Sure," I mumbled absently, sketching anime in my book. "Sit down,"

"You're good," The person next to me commented.

"Thanks," I said, as our teacher came into the room; a stack of textbooks in her arms.

"This can't be good," Charlie mumbled next to me.

"Charlie, it's Maths. NOTHING is good," Jasmine said, rolling her eyes with a grin.

"Right, as you all know, last lesson we were talking about algebra...blah blah blah...this equation...blah blah blah..." Miss Meegan started writing equations for us to solve on the board.

"Need help?" The person next to me asked softly.

"I don't get any of it anyway, so it's pointless," I replied, and he chuckled.

"Is there some hilarious joke you'd like to share with the class, Rathbone?" Miss Meegan snapped at him, glaring like she was going to burn a hole into him.

He shrugged with a grin. "Nothin'. I was just telling Laura here that M x M is two M, not M to the power of two,"

Miss Meegan frowned back at the board, then hastily rubbed out her 'equation'; writing down the new boy's - correct - version.

"Umm, thank you Dylan," She muttered.

"It's okay, miss. Not everyone knows you failed Maths, so had to spend a few years studying with your glasses and braces to go to university." He smirked, raising a knowing eyebrow.

Her eyebrows furrowed, looking...astonished, then wrote something on the board before bolting out the classroom like a streaking bullet.

I've just gone to get some more textbooks.

"Yeah, right," Charlie snorted sarcastically, and we all burst out laughing.

"Smart," I mumbled with a grin.

"Thanks," He smiled, opening a black book to reveal pages of drawings - each one either a small dragon, or the same girl fighting something.

I gawped. "Whoa. You drew those?" I finally looked at him.

He looked back at me with bright bluey green eyes - making me feel like I was swimming in the sea. I saw a beach in the distance, and blinked involuntary.

The beach and sea were gone, but I still heard the waves crashing onto rocks in the distance.

"Yeah, I draw them," he murmured absently; still looking intenty into my eyes.

Laura! Say your name's Laura! You acting like a dork staring at him like that! My inner thoughts hissed.

I pursed my lips, closing my eyes as I tried to concentrate to form words that would make sense.

"I'm Laura. Laura Gregori," I held out a hand to him.

He took it, still looking into my eyes.

"Dylan Rathbone,"

His hand in mine was surprisingly soft and slim - but definitely masculine.

"Laura? Earth to Laura?" a familiar voice asked impatiently in the distance.

Fingers clicked in my face and I jumped, pulling my hand involuntary out from Dylan's grip to put it on my chest - as if to slow down my heart.

The bell went, signalling for us to go to our next lesson.

I walked out subconsciously, dazed as I paid no attention to anything around me.

I swear to God the memory of his eyes will stay with me for as long as I live.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so so sorry I haven't updated this one in a while :L I've been really busy with Year 11 Coursework. Whoever invented it will die....

Comment, vote and read my other stories please :D