Chapter 5

It was dark...so dark.

Your heart was pounding against your ribcage and your lungs were on fire but you didn't dare stop running. Your legs were tired and felt as heavy as lead but you kept on going. Your bare feet throbbed in pain, bleeding from running over rocks and sharp objects as you frantically tried to get away from him. You didn't know how you got to the woods in the first place, but it didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was that you had to get away from the monster. Your breath was ragged and your hair was matted with sweat against your forehead. A deep, spine chilling chuckle rang through the woods, causing your heart to skip a beat.

You can't run.

Pure ice cold terror coursed through your veins. You forced yourself to keep going as a choked sob escaped your lips, your hands worked desperately to comb through the thick brush and gnarled branches as sharp ragged rocks and twigs dug into the soles of your feet.

Surrender yourself to me.

The demon's voice purred as he spoke causing a shiver of fear to run down your spine.

"Never!" You managed to choke out without pausing to look back as tears streamed down your face. A sharp branch painfully grazed your left cheek as you ran past causing you to gasp in surprise. You gingerly pressed your fingers to the wound to inspect the damage and saw that you were bleeding.

Pitiful human.

You could hear the pure delight in his voice as he spoke. You could hear the twisted evil grin that stretched unnaturally wide on his face. He was enjoying this. Of course he was. He's a monster.

You yelped in shock as your foot wedged itself in a mess of tangled roots and twisted unnaturally. A surge of pain shot up from your ankle causing you to cry out as you tripped and fell down on all fours. Small pebbles embedded themselves into your palms and your knees but you didn't even register the pain anymore, you only felt the searing pain from your ankle. You tried desperately to free yourself from the tangled mess but your foot wouldn't budge, the slightest movement was unbearably painful.

No, no, no. You had to keep moving!

But...what was the point? You had already lost. You were only delaying the inevitable.

You closed your eyes and took a deep, ragged breath as you accepted your fate.

Have you given up already?

The dark voice chuckled mockingly causing your eyes to fly open and your heart to race in fear. In front of you was a dark, wispy fog that resembled a humanoid silhouette. It seemed to have trouble retaining it's shape, as if something that was far from human was trying to take human form. The only thing you could make out was the demonic fuschia glow of the monsters eyes, long razor sharp fangs that seemed to be stretched out in a devilish grin, and a pair of bat-like wings paired with a pointed tail that swished back and forth lazily.

Well, it doesn't matter. You never had a chance anyway.

You belong to me.

Your eyes widened when you realized his grin never faltered and you had heard him in your head this entire time.

"W-What do you want?" You stuttered fearfully as you looked up at the demonic creature.

What do I want?

The fog started to shrink and form into a more human shape, losing the wings and tail, but keeping the glowing eyes and fangs. You were slowly able to makeout human features as the creature changed forms. Ebony hair, pale skin...