Chapter Two

A/N: No clipping lyrics but there is a reference so if you can guess it then I'll give you a shout out...enjoooyyyy💕

My alarm rings signaling that it's time to get up. Monday mornings are the absolute worst because I have classes at Laney Community College from seven to three.

I throw on some jeans and my Raider sweatshirt because it's way too early to try and look good. I stash my books and my laptop in my backpack and grab my headphones before running out the door, late as always.

There's no time to stop for food as I speed down the street. Luckily I have a random granola bar in my glove compartment that's been there for God knows how long. You don't even care about what condition your food is in when you're starving so I eat it anyways. That might've been a mistake.

Somehow I find really good parking and manage to be one of the first people on campus. I check my phone, which is at 39% because I fell asleep with it in my hand last night, and make a disturbing discovery.

It's 6:30 in the morning. Class doesn't start for thirty minutes.

My alarm must've went off at the wrong time. Although I do remember Malik messing with it last night.

I take a seat at my favorite table and pull out my laptop and notebook. Since I have an extra thirty minutes, I might as well work on tweaking the song for Malik.

When my headphones go over my ears, I'm in the zone. The music takes over and I'm totally absorbed in my work. It takes a lot to pull me out.

Someone takes a seat next to me and I instantly turn to see who it is. I smile when I realize it's my friend and classmate Jessimae Davis. She smiles back.

"Hey," I say, taking my headphones off my ears.

"What up, Diggs? Workin' on some fire?" she asks, playfully shoving me. "I didn't expect you to be here this early."

"Neither was I but my friend did something to my alarm so I got up," I explain, rubbing my hand over my curls.

"I knew this was a mistake! You're never here on time!"

"Don't remind me," I laugh. "How was your weekend?"

"Pretty good. That report killed my vibe though."

"What report?" I ask, my eyes widening.

"Our research report? This is a research class."

"Damn it! I totally forgot about that," I groan. "I mean, I did it but I forgot it was due."

"And you forgot that you're presenting yours," Jessimae adds.

"I don't want to," I groaned, wishing I could disappear.

"Well, you got chosen. You'll be fine."

Jessimae smiles and sings softly to herself, her voice smooth and melodious. She's the best singer I've ever heard. I've thought about asking her to sing the hook on a song in the future but I always get afraid to ask for some reason.

"Are you and your friend performing soon?" she asks.

"Yeah. Tomorrow night, actually."

"What song are you doing?"

"A song I'm writing right now."

"Can I hear it?"

Jessimae literally always asks me for a listen and I always give her the same answer.

"No."

"Daveed!" she groans. "Please?"

"You have to come to the show," I told her with a sly smile.

"Where is it?"

"Vinyl. That sports bar."

"I'll see."

There's a silence as I steal a glance at Jessimae for the first time today. Her golden brown skin shines even though it's cloudy. Her eyes are a beautiful hazel color and put me under a spell every time I gaze into them. She's gorgeous but not available, as most beautiful girls are.

"How's Terrence?" I inquire. For some reason I care about Jessimae and her stupid boyfriend.

"He's fine," she replies simply.

"He's nice to you, right?"

Jessimae runs a hand through her blonde tresses. I've always wished to rub my hand over her hair but being friends puts boundaries on our level of interaction.

"Yeah, he's nice to me," Jessimae replies, not looking directing at me.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

I look at the clock on my laptop and realize class starts in five minutes. "I guess we'd better go," I suggest.

"Good idea."

I pack up my stuff and walk with Jessimae to class still thinking about her stupid boyfriend. I know he's no good. Jessimae knows he's no good too.

We sit next to each other as usual and I take out my report, definitely not ready to present. There's about fifty people in my class and there's no way I'll stand in front of them for no more than five minutes without having a panic attack. I put my glasses on so I can at least read the words on my paper and not totally screw up.

"Mr. Diggs," the professor calls. "I'll have you present now."

Jessimae gives me a round of quiet applause. "You got this, Diggs."

I smile shyly and make my way to the front of the room. Everyone stares so intently. Jessimae smiles wide, waiting patiently for what I have to say.

"Um...well...I'm Daveed Diggs and I did my research paper on how music helps you remember things," I stutter.

Jessimae nods excitedly and pumps her fist in the air. "Yeah! Let's go!" she mouths.

I wouldn't need my glasses to see Jessimae's enthusiasm any day.

Class goes by pretty quick after I finish my presentation. I'm finally able to slip back into my seat and laugh at Jessimae's jokes for an hour.

"I really hope I'll be able to go to your show tomorrow. I'll ask Terrence," Jessimae says as we walk out of the classroom.

"Why are you asking him?" I question, feeling protective of my friend.

"He might have something planned."

"You come if you want to come, okay? Your life doesn't depend on what he wants to do," I tell her.

"Okay, Dad."

"I'm serious!" I laugh. "Just call me if you need me to talk to him."

"Yeah right! You wouldn't fight anyone. You're too nice. Stay that way." She gives me a huge hug.

Someone honks from a lightning blue Camaro and I know for a fact Terrence is not happy with me. Jessimae pulls out of the hug and smiles.

"See you tomorrow maybe?"

"Yeah." I start to walk away feeling pretty bummed.

"Daveed?"

She pulls me back by the arm with such force I nearly stumble backward.

"Call me, okay?"

I nod and she releases my wrist making sure to hurry into Terrence's car. He pulls away slowly, probably attempting to make me nervous.

He really doesn't scare me that much.

A/N: Great job to passion_lovefruit on getting the song name on the last chapter! More sooonnn❤️