Chapter Eleven

I lazily open my eyes and try to recognize my surroundings. Everything's painfully blurry and no matter how many times I blink or rub my eyes, my vision doesn't get any clearer. Memories flood my mind in a sudden wave and reality slaps me across the face. Malik was on the ground bleeding but the end of the story was unclear.

The first thing I see clearly is a nurse who's writing down things on her clipboard. We make eye contact and she smiles.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Diggs?" she asks.

"Where's my friend?"

"We're getting an update on him right now but-"

"Is he gonna be okay?"

"We're gonna find out very soon," she replies. "Just sit back and rest."

"No, but-"

"Daveed, it's okay." Jessimae, who was waiting patiently for me to wake up, stands and places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. That doesn't do much for me though because her eyes are bloodshot red and tears are streaming down her cheeks.

"I'll go get an update on your friend right now," the nurse says before walking out of the room.

"I'm so happy you're okay," Jessimae sobs, throwing herself on me after the nurse leaves. "I was so worried about you."

I bury my face in the crook of her neck and do my best to not breakdown crying just as she did. "Where's Malik?"

"I don't know. They took you guys away from me so fast. I'm just happy you're alive, oh my god." She kisses my forehead and rubs my cheeks with her thumbs.

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" I ask, taking her hand in mine.

"It's not about me, baby."

"Yes, it is. Did they hurt you? I need to know."

She sighs and shifts her weight from one foot to the other, the distress evident in her eyes. "I mean, they could've been nicer..."

I shake my head. "I swear-"

"Daveed, it's okay."

"It's okay?!" I exclaim. "What happened today was not okay!"

"I just don't want you to be upset."

"Of course I'm gonna be upset, Jessimae! They put hands on you and they shouldn't do that to anyone, especially a woman like you. I'm supposed to look out for you and I let this happen."

"This wasn't your fault, baby," she coos, brushing my curls back. "This was injustice."

Distant screaming can be heard down the hall, catching our attention. Jessimae squeezes my hand and glances out the window. Her face falls. "Oh shit..."

"What?"

"Oh no, no, no..." 

"Jessimae, talk to me!"

Suddenly, Yolanda and an entourage of nurses burst in the room. They struggle to keep Yolanda on her feet as she screams and cries hysterically.

Something isn't right.

"Daveed!" Yolanda rushes over to me and pulls me into a tight hug. "Are you okay, baby?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where's Malik?"

Yolanda shakes her head and buries her face into my chest. My stomach twists into a tight knot when I realize what this means.

"I'm sorry, Daveed, but Malik didn't make it," the doctor informs me.

Jessimae gasps and stumbles backward into a chair along the wall and begins crying all over again.

My senses go numb all at once. I don't think I fully comprehend how serious this is. I absentmindedly rub Yolanda's back and kiss the top of her head as my stomach twists tighter and tighter.

My best friend, my partner in crime, my brother, is gone forever and it happened in less than an hour.

"What am I supposed to do?" I ask Yolanda. "What are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know, baby." Yolanda lifts her head up to look at me, tears falling from her eyes like a waterfall.

The doctor told me that I could be discharged tonight and that nothing was wrong with me. It feels like the weight of the world is settling onto my shoulders and I can't do anything about it.

That same weekend, Malik's funeral takes place and we bury him near his father. It's a shame that they both died the same way. It's even more of shame that Malik died by the very thing he was in the streets protesting against.

The one question that keeps going through my head is our music and what's going to happen to it. I can't let it die and waste a record deal, but I know I'm not performing these songs.

One thing I do know is that I'm not one to miss school so I show up bright and early Monday morning. I take a seat at my favorite bench, pull out my laptop, and work on more music with Malik in mind. The more I think of him, the more upset I get and suddenly, it gets painfully challenging to keep from crying.

*************

A/N

I updated two months later. I'm making progress.

But seriously, sorry about not updating this story. I've been very busy with my Daveed Diggs x Reader which is pretty good according to some people.

Hella slow updates like this will never happen again and if they do, y'all can punish me.

More soon for sure!