Chapter Seven

Krizelle whispers some things in a man's ear and he nods in agreement. Malik looks at me and I shrug. Did she like the song?

"Let's go talk to her. Hurry up." Malik puts the microphone back on the stand and rushes off stage to get to Krizelle. I follow suit.

"Hey again," Malik says, tapping on her shoulder.

The man she had whispered to shoots him a nasty look and Malik puts his hands behind his back.

"Oh, hi! And this is Daveed. Nice to meet you. I'm Krizelle Washington of Bay Pop Records," she says, putting her hand out.

"I-I know," I stutter, shaking her hand. "It's really nice to meet you."

"Are you kidding? It's nice to meet you guys! You were incredible. Great song by the way."

"Thanks."

"I really am considering adding you two to the Bay Pop fam. You definitely deserve it," she says, crossing her arms. "I mean, Daveed, your writing is on point. I don't know what I was expecting when I heard your song, but I was not expecting that. Great job."

"Thank you," I say. That's all I can say.

"And Malik...boy, you had me hype! You know how to own a stage and not a lot of people can do that. Y'all are an insane duo." She sounds so sincere.

"It's all Diggs," Malik brags, patting me on the back. "This boy know he can write."

"I might have some extra jobs for your friend over here. It could pay really well too. But I need you guys to do me a favor," she requests, adjusting her bomber jacket.

"Whatever you need." Malik rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

"I think you two need a music video. It doesn't have to be anything special but don't do the same song you performed tonight. I don't want you to spend an outrageous amount of money, though. Just a little something to show some friends of mine, that's all," she explains, eyeing the man next to her.

"We'll do that. When do you want it?"

"The sooner the better. Give them my card," she commands to the man.

He takes a stack of business cards from his pocket and hands them to Malik. He stares at them like they're gold coins.

"Gimme a call, okay?" Krizelle says with a wink.

"Sure, baby. I mean...yeah..." Malik stammers.

The man glares at him and puts a protective arm around Krizelle. I don't think he appreciated that.

"See y'all soon. Great job." She smiles and turns away with her man who's frown is still cemented to his face.

"Diggs!" Malik cries with the biggest smile. "Do you know what this means?!"

"I don't even know," I whisper, still shocked at what just went down.

"We finna be the next big thing! Are you ready?!"

"No," I laugh. "I'm not."

"I think this calls for a drink."

He walks to the bar and I follow without second thoughts. I'm pretty much an empty, lifeless being at this point.

"Fancy meeting you here," Jessimae says, her smile knocking me out of my trance.

"Oh, hey."

"Great job! I loved it."

"Thanks."

"Yo, a music producer gave us her card!" Malik nearly screams.

"For real?! That's insane! Congrats!" she cries.

"You should take one," I suggest, holding a business card out. "Maybe you can get a record deal too."

"What would I do with a record deal?" she scoffs, taking the card anyway.

"Sing."

"She can sing?!" Malik cries. "Oh my god, she's the ultimate package!"

"I don't need a record deal, Daveed, but thanks," Jessimae says with a grateful smile.

"Keep one though. In case you change your mind."

She gives me a sly look and takes the card anyway. I can't help but stare as she puts it in her purse and turns back to face me with that ever-present smile. That smile disappears immediately when she looks at her phone.

"Oh my god, Terrence needs to chill," she sighs typing a text message.

"Why, what's wrong?"

"He keeps asking where I am for some reason. I think I'm gonna go home because shit will go down if he gets home before me," she claims, getting her stuff together.

"Yeah, I think we'll head out too," I conclude, looking at Malik.

"But it's nine o'clock," Malik states, disgusted that we're planning on leaving so early.

"Yeah but I have to go to school tomorrow and I have work too so I should probably go home," I explain.

Malik gives me a knowing look but I raise my eyebrow at him. I pray he doesn't ruin this for me.

"Can I have the keys so I don't have to watch y'all kiss and all that?" he asks as we make our way out of the club.

I give him the keys and continue following Jessimae to the exit. Malik doesn't concern me right now. Jessimae is all that matters.

"Thanks so much for inviting me. You did so well," Jessimae says as I walk her to her car.

"No problem. I'll tell you when we perform again."

"Please do. Maybe you'll rap next time."

She giggles when I playfully roll my eyes. "We'll see," I conclude.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

My heart sinks a little when I realize we've already arrived at her car. I nod.

"Cool! I'll text you if Terrence doesn't kill me."

She wraps her arms around my torso and squeezes me tight. I swear, if she hears how fast my heart is beating, I'll die.

"See you later." She pats my chest and unlocks her car.

I smile and wave before turning around and walking back to my own car where Malik already has the engine running.

"You good?" he asks over his music.

"Yeah. I'm great."

A/N: Daveed is so pure oh my god