BOOK 1 CH.5: The Swamp

Book 1: Earth
Chapter 5: The Swamp
"Are we there yet..?" Fung groaned, causing Makei to slap him.

"What, do you think it'll take only half a day to get to the other side of the earth kingdom?" Makei groaned back.

It had been the next morning, the sun already starting to scorch. They had been travelling on the same boring grassy wetland for a long, long time. Mumba, the landsnake ran with extreme stamina, never slowing down.

"It's not only you," said Mae who was sitting cross legged in the front, head resting on one hand and the other picking the saddle, "I swear if we don't get there soon we're all gonna die from dehydration," she pointed at the sun.

"Water.....water!" Shrieked Fung. "It's all your fault, Makei! You used the last of it to remove your mosqito-wasp droppings!" Makei opened her mouth but Mae cut in. "Argh, I know we're all really thirsty here. But fighting will only make your mouth dryer! Here, we can share the last of my bending water!" She divided her bending water out of her pouch into three, and the water made its way to their mouths.

"Ah, thank you." Fung thanked.

"Woah, guys look up ahead! Mae suddenly called, breaking the silence. They all looked up. Ahead of them suddenly popped up swamp. The area around was damp, wet with dew. The place was overhang with a blur of green leaves.

"Woah, I've heard of this place. Its not too far from where we're heading!" Fung exclaimed.

"Well, this is out of nowhere," Makei added. She was right. The swamp truly popped out of the blue. It was one big thing. It seemed like a huge huge tree (like a mushroom) hanging over the mysterious pool of green. As soon as Mae realised what she had to do, it was a bit too late.

"Mumba! Go around the swamp! That way!" Mumba didn't listen. He was headed towards the swamp amd was going to crash in the middle of it.

"MUMBA!!" Mae shrieked urgently and hung over the saddle, hands frantically waving over the landsnake's face. "Other way!" But it was too late. There was a loud crash  and snap of the vines, followed by more snapping sounds. Mumba was now out of control.

"MUMBA!!! STAHHHPPPP!!!" Makei yelled as they all hang on to the edge of the saddle. There was a screeching crash and before they knew it they were being hurled into the air and over the branches.

There was a poof.

"Ow," said Fung, after he landed. Luckily they had landed in a pool of swampy water.

"Are we all alright?" Mae asked as she tried to bring one of her arms out of the sloppy green goo. She grimaced at the slimy slop.

"Well I'm fine," said Makei. She wiggled her way out of the slop. "But whattabout Mumba? She pointed at the land snake. Thick brown goo rose up covering his legs and he was whimpering loudly.

"Oh man," exclaimed Fung. "There is no way we can get him outta there ourselves."

"First lets get everyone clean again," with waterbending Mae carefully drew the wet dew out of the nearby trees. She gathered a bubble of clean water and sprinkled it on everyone.

"Thanks," everyone said. Fung turned to Mumba.

"Mud is just earth mixed with water. We can separate it. He nodded at Mae and she nodded back. Carefully, they drew the water up into a bubble and slowly separated it into two parts. Mae bent the water she had collected into her pouch and Fung dropped it on the ground. They repeated it again and soon Mumba's legs were visible.

Mumba was whimpering very loudly now.

"Nice job guys!" Makei clapped from behind.

"Whew! What do we do now?" Asked Mae. They both looked at Fung.