BOOK 1, CH. 7: The Storm

*pic- the sea serpent and the avatar state(but its not Mae!!!!!!)
Book 1: Earth
Chapter 7: The Storm
Yes yes, short chapter....

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Mae called over the rumbling noise of the engine to Kato.

"Yeah," Kato replied casually through the roar of the wind and engine. "My parents were sailors and they taught me a bit. Remember?"

From the back of the rickety fishing boat Fung rolled his eyes and started complaining.

"Well I'm sure what HE knows what he's doing- he's probably gonna sail us off a cliff sometime soon!" He grumbled, arms crossed.

Fung gritted his teeth. "Look, I know you don't like me, but I know what I'm doing here! And its not sailing off the edge of a cliff!"

The others were surprised at his sudden yell.

Makei let out a sigh from the back. "Look. You guys need to sort out your differences cos it's really getting on me and Mae's nerves." Mae agreed.

Soon the boat suddenly rocked up and down violently.

"Woaaaahhhhh," they all shrieked. The massive waves of gust blew against the patchy sail. From a distance the rumbling ocean set out a series of waves, tilting the boat to a completely 180 degree angle.

"HANG ON!!!!" Mae called urgently through the noise of the storm. They all hung on to the rim of the boat for their lives, knuckles turning white.

The waves crashed back and forth.

"I'M STARTING TO THINK THIS WASN'T A VERY GOOD IDEA," Makei shrieked as the boat a huge wave crashed into the boat, causing it to edge upwards. Everyone, (except Kato who grabbed a pocket knife he had stabbed in the rim of the boat) tumbled down.

"I THINK WE'RE IN THE HEART OF A TROPICAL STORM!!!" Fung panicked. "MAE!! DO SOMETHING!!" He added to the waterbender.

Mae was already onto it.

She focused and with a gesture of her hands, the boat edged downwards and surfaced beneath the rocky water. Mae continued to form a bubble of water protecting the boat.

"Woahh....." Kato looked at the bubble Mae had created in admiration.

"Is everyone alright?" Mae asked in between her bending. There were sighs of relief.

"Yes, everyone's here!" Makei panted out in between chokes.

"She asked if everyone's alright, not if they're here," Fung joked halfheartedly. Makei groaned.

Mae was sweating up by now. Underwater wasn't much better than above. Beneath the misty waters was a whirlpool of blowing water. Suddenly, the violent currents pulled their fishing boat down tumbling into the midst of the unforgiving sea, engulfing everyone on there with it.

Yep, they were in the middle of a rip tide in the middle of a tropical storm in the middle of the nasty ocean.

By now the harsh sea had defeated them Mae had completely lost control of bending the ocean waves.

The boat shook violently in the depth of the water. It was going to end soon if no one did anything. They were running out of air, the water filling the boat. And then, an enormous underwater current knocked the life out of the boat, splitting it into two. Mae and Fung were stuck on one half while the other half shattered. The deadly currents were starting to swirl Makei and Kato in with them.

It was going to end.

Then suddenly, a massive glow filled the water, a blue sphere surrounded boat, and expanded- pushing outwards.

It was Mae.

It was the avatar state.

Both her eyes suddenly opened and adapted a striking white glow, her fists touching each other. She levitated, summoning the huge sphere of water bringing everyone into safety.

"Woah....." The others clutched on to the remnants of the boat as Mae continued to summon the barrier for them and the waters.

The fearsome glow in her eyes were still there as both of her arms swung around, the boat moving forward with it. Inside the sphere it felt light. Like air.

"Incredible....." Makei whispered inaudibly as she looked at her friend.

Suddenly, From the edge of her eye, a long body of green appeared from nowhere. It zoomed by fast. It slithered like a snake. But no. It was massive, at least twenty metres long and one metre wide. The long body slowly circled the sphere that protected them, trapping it like vines. It's ugly face slithered past. Green, with hungry eyes and sharp red fins sticking out. It was the legendary sea serpent. And it was trapping them slowly.

Mae, who was still in the avatar state robotically swung her arms, and a huge wave of water burst against the body of the serpent. But it was no use.

The glow in the avatar's eyes were now fluctuating. On and off. Mae cringed her teeth as she tried to use all her power to protect her friends.

Instead, she collapsed back into Makei's arms who catched her.

Then, she blacked out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Should've listened to Aunt Mu,"

"Shouldn't of let Mumba go!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mae struggled to open her eyes. She tried to force it open, but all she saw was a dark shade of orange. No...blue.

Her eyelids slowly forced themselves to open, peeling eyelash by eyelash. Mae grunted in pain as she felt a terrible ache in her left arm. The first object her eyes focused on were four legs. They were coming closer, towards her. And yellow stuff, sand? She weakly held her hand in front of her, and she saw ten sausages sticking out of her palm. Soon her hand went blurry. Wait. Where was the rest of her friends? Were they here? Were they alright? She tried to move her head, but instead her neck gave her an incredible jolt of pain, triggering her to remember the events of the storm. And then she passed out again.
_________________
Mae blinked once. Twice. On the third time, her eyelids forced itself open. Mae's blurry vision focused on a face. It was perfectly bald, the shape of a soft boiled egg. She heard gasps around her. She's in a room.

"You're finally awake!" A male voice calls. Mae looks to the side, where the voice is coming from. Great. Another soft boiled egg head guy. Wait, isn't that the same person?

"W.wwh....where am I?" She managed the question out of her throat, which hurt so much it felt as if she had just swallowed a slimy toad frog whole.

The voice was back again.

"Welcome to the Southern air temple."
________________________
Avatar quote of the day:
"I'm realising I've had to go through all of those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honour, and somehow my father could return it to me. But now I know that no one can give you honour. It's something that you have to earn for yourself, by choosing to do what's right. All I want now is to play my part in ending this war. And I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world.
— Prince Zuko