Chapter Twenty Six

-------------------

"We are all on this earth to help each other.  What the others are here for, I don't know." - W. H. Auden.

Dedication: Caesium- for the amazing cover! Thank you so much!

Recap:

"That's it," Mr Hyder sighed, pursing his lips. "You're both in for after school detention."

Scowling, I tried to fight the anger, but I couldn't. Picking up his pencil, I snapped it, needing to break something.

Just great.

----------------

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to stick this pen in your eye," I snapped.

Chase just grinned at me. "You wouldn't ruin my pretty face like that."

I scowled at him. I wanted to remark that he didn't have a pretty face, but considering my boyfriend was literally identical to him, that would be a bit awkward. And he knew it, too.

"Can't even deny it," he remarked, his grin widening. "I knew you'd eventually start to like me."

I let out a laugh. "Like you? Don't flatter yourself."

"Let's hang out on Sunday, what do you say? Go for a romantic walk, have dinner by the water..." he trailed off, wriggling his eyebrows.

"I can do all those things with your brother. Thanks for the offer."

"Not on Sunday," he taunted.

He did have a point there.

"Doesn't have to be the specific day."

"I would always make time for you."

I just rolled my eyes. "Visiting your grandmother is a bit more worthwhile than taking a walk, don't you think?"

"Not when she doesn't even know who he is."

"You are such an ass," I bit out. "Don't you ever get sick of the sound of your own voice?"

He opened his mouth to retort, but Mr Hyder slipped back into the room, a cup of coffee in his hand. He glanced down at his watch.

"You guys can probably head off now. But I just want to make it clear, I won't have you disrupting my class again. I don't want you seated together anymore. Am I clear?"

"Crystal," I remarked.

I'm glad he asked us to be separated. I would stop turning up to my favourite class, just to be rid of Chase's presence.

After inhaling a deep lungful of the fresh air, I began to stride home.

"Want to-"

"Fuck off," I snapped.

"Woah."

I whirled around, glaring at him. "I don't know what game you're trying to play but I'm not interested. Leave me and Xavier alone, got it?"

"Where's the fun in that?"

"I swear to God-"

"I hear your dad's back."

My words died down as I stared at him. I didn't reply.

"You get along with him?"

"Why?" I asked slowly.

He just shrugged. "Would just be a shame if anything happened to him, that's all."

The blood in my veins turned cold.