Chapter Three

------------------------------

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm possible'." - Audrey Hepburn.

Dedication: FallenLight for the amazing cover on the side. :)

Recap:

Smirking, I returned to the house where the boys just stood there, staring at each other helplessly. I know I can't leave it off for very long, with the fridge and all that, but I needed to teach him a lesson. Xavier turned, his eyes narrowed into slits.

"You've started something now." he said in a slow, threatening voice.

"Yeah. Two can play this game." I replied back starkly, arms folded across my chest. "Bring it on."

-------------------------------

"Aren't you a Goth?"

"No."

"So you're a Gothic... cowgirl?"

"What did I just say?"

"Why are you dressed like that then?"

"I have to go to work."

"What are you, a jillaroo? Who dresses like that?"

I sighed impatiently as I wrapped the hair band around my pony tail. Xavier was the most persistent and annoying human being I've ever met. He has made it his ambition in life to follow and harass me as much as possible, ever since we declared war on each other. It was scary, nothing had happened since the electricity stunt pulled on my behalf. I lock my door when I sleep and have been keeping one eye open constantly. I wasn't going to fall into his trap.

"I'm going to get dirty, I'm not going to wear my nice clothes there."

His eyes lit up. "Dirty?"

I rolled my eyes and ignored him. Of course that is the only word he picked up. I glanced down at my attire and frowned. What is wrong with this? It's what I wear to work all the time. I had a light pair of denim shorts, my dusty old riding boots, a black singlet and a big, blue, flannelette shirt draped over the top. My hair was piled up in a high pony tail, cascading down my shoulder blades.

If it wasn't obvious, I worked with horses. The job opportunities in River were very limited. The two biggest businesses were the local supermarket and the bakery, which every second kid you talk to is already employed at. Thankfully for me, I forced dad to make me having riding lessons when I was young and wanted to grow up to be a famous equestrian. Turns out, they needed a young worker and I needed employment at the same time. They remembered me being a customer and knew I had experience around horses. It was not as glamorous as you would think, but it was a job and that's all that mattered.

Mostly, I cleaned the stables, rugged the horses, made sure they were moved to the right areas, etc. Sometimes on weekends and holidays I got to actually go riding and take people out on trails which was pretty fun. Mostly, I just make sure they were fed and do all the basic jobs around the place, which could include cleaning the equipment (which was not all that fun). Hence, why I was dressed like a 'cowgirl' as Xavier nicely described me.

Rolling the sleeves up to my elbows, I tucked my socks in and was ready to go. I felt his gaze on me as I grabbed my bag and chucked a bottle of water in it. Seeing as my car was out of action (which still made me angry and want to stab Xavier with a fork when I thought about it), I had to get to work on foot. Fortunately it wasn't too far away and I actually did like walking.

He trailed wordlessly behind me and I tried really hard not to respond. I was a little suspicious leaving him alone in the house while I went out but there wasn't much I could do. I came to a sudden halt and he smashed into me from behind. Again. I am so glad I am paranoid and get my way with dad. After Nancy had broken into my room and scrubbed it clean once, I made him cut me a key for my room. Best decision ever.