this must be my dream

I personify the 'adolescent on a phone'/ Speaking like I'm bigger than my body/ I personify that lack of freedom in your life/ And I'm sure she'll be gone in a second/ Let me tell you 'bout this girl/ I thought she'd rearrange my world/ Takes a particular type of girl-/ To put my heart under arrest/ So why's this beating on my chest?/ [This must be my dream/ Wide awake before I found you/ This must be my dream/ 'I can't wait for you, boy'/ Wake me from my dream/ What does all our love amount to?/ This must be my dream/ We can't make love if you fly around me, baby] Pipe down, you're no lover/ It's failing 'cause you want it to you/ Well, I thought it was love but I guess I must be dreaming/ 'Bout feeling something instead of you/ "What did I tell you 'bout this girl?"/ "The one to rearrange your world?"/ "You got excited and now you find that your 'girl' won't even get you undressed"/ "Or care about your beating chest"/ [chorus]

I

The weather was ideal. It was good enough to fly around in, but sadly Matty couldn't fly nor could his fellow man. The day was still fair to him, nevertheless. Today was the day, he told himself, the day he'd engage. This girl of his was quite a dream, especially considering she slayed Matty, a man who once burned with passion for various women. He was hers, all hers. She changed him, honestly, but he couldn't change her.

As Matty continued his leisurely stroll, he phoned his love. There were cliche plans in place for his proposal and her location during its preparation was crucial.

"Hello?" she answered after a ring or two.

"Hey there, darling. How are you today?" he concernedly asked.

"I was doing quite pleasant," her remark was quite sharp and Matty couldn't comprehend why.

"What's wrong?" he pouted as he seized his walking.

"I hate when you call me. You sound so adolescent."

"My bad, love. I'll make this quick then. Can you meet me at my flat for dinner around 5 or so?"

"I suppose I can."

"Lovely."

II

Matty was so in love with her. Sometimes when she was around, he felt as if he was dreaming. Being with her was a hobby of his. Currently, it was 5:07pm as Matty impatiently paced his flat. He was dripping with excitement. Oh, how he loved her.

About an hour later, she finally knocked on his door. With a childish grin, he welcomed her in. On the other side of the threshold was the unempathetic woman. The smile she held was a weapon against him. It reeled him in and held him captive. He liked it, though.

She entered the flat after receiving a chaste kiss from Matty. Her eyes glanced over the white Christmas lights that were strategically strung so that they formed a question. He trailed behind her before kneeling down for her. It was hard for him to identify her mood in that moment. Swiftly, she turned around and was greeted by him in the traditional position.

"Oh, Matty" she sighed sadly.

III

"We're failing," she puffed after many minutes of verbal fighting.

"It's failing, 'cause you want it to. If you put as much effort as me, maybe we'd be a divine pairing. You're the only one who thinks we're failing anyway. From my eyes, we're fine." he replied, gripping the freezing hands of the cold-hearted girl.

"That's simply because, Matty, you're dreaming up something nonexistent. I'm not 'the girl,'" she attempted to explain to the boy close to tears.

"I'm not dreaming! This is real. What I feel for you is real,"

"Matty, I'm truly and utterly sorry for leading you on for so long. When you asked for my hand in marriage. I knew I couldn't drag it on any longer."

With that, she hurriedly exited his flat. Matty felt robbed of two years of his life, of his happiness, of his heart. To think it was all but a dream. He was only fun to her, something to pass the time. He was wide awake now, just like he was before she found him.

  myaesthe_tic © | all rights reserved