Chapter Six

Inside the large home, the older man turned to Rose. "Mr. Gatsby will be in his study for the rest of the evening, so you have the house to yourself."

"Doesn't Mr. Gatsby live with anyone?" Rose asked.

"Just us simple servants." The man smiled.

"If you need anything, just call." The man turned.

"Wait." Rose held out her hand to stop him, but instantly put it back to her side. "What's your name?"

The man smiled. "Just call me, the butler." And with that, he left.

Rose stood in the foyer. She had never been inside when it was empty. She decided to start some exploring. As she walked towards the stairs, the small heels on her shoes clicked loudly against the tile. She slowly walked up the stairs, feeling the cold, smooth surface of the railing as she went.

Each door in the hallway held a secret, but she wasn't quite sure if she was ready to witness those secrets. One door though, was open, about halfway. The light inside caught Rose's attention. It called to her. She stepped towards it, looking inside. Pictures hung on the walls, a desk and empty chair sat in the middle of the room. Shelf's and tables lined the walls, each were covered in different objects. Rose couldn't help but feel as if this room held the most secrets of them all. And this room, she was ready to know those secrets.

She pushed the door open completely and stepped inside. The first thing that caught her eye was a picture of an old man. And stood next to him was a much younger man, maybe in his late teens. He was very handsome and resembled Gatsby is almost every way.

"Couldn't stay away, could you?" Rose turned around quickly.

"You scared me." Rose held a hand to her chest, like she had done in the car earlier.

"I wouldn't have if you weren't in my study." Gatsby smiled. He held a glass in his hand.

"I didn't know..." She looked around. Of course it was the study. Their wouldn't have been a desk if it wasn't.

"Of course you didn't." Gatsby walked towards her. "Would you mind accompanying me for dinner while you're here?"

Rose shook her head. "Nick must be worried sick."

"Nonsense. You can call him before. Or after if you prefer." Gatsby set down the glass on the edge of his desk.

"Or we could invite Nick." Rose suggested. "If you don't mind."

"Of course I don't." Gatsby held out his arm for Rose. She took it with a smile and he led her out of the room and down the stairs. "Should you call him or should I?"

"I can do it." Rose moved to the phone, ringing her brother. He answered on the third ring. "Hello Nicky."

"Where are you? It's raining and you didn't take a jacket." Nick said in a rushed tone.

"Calm down, Nick." Rose laughed. "I'm over at Gatsby's. And he has invited us to dinner."

"I'm not sure, Rose. I have a lot of work to do."

"Please, Nicky. You don't want to leave me alone with a stranger, do you?" Rose begged.

"You were alone in his car earlier." Nick countered back.

"But now I'm in his house." Rose placed a hand on her hip.

"I'll be over in a minute." Rose smiled.

"Thank you Nicky." She hung up the phone and walked back over to Gatsby. "He'll be here soon."