Chapter Fifteen

The three brunettes that had been left behind continued to sit in silence. Nick was the first to move. "I'll be right back." He whispered to his sister as I went to find the bathroom.

Tom took this as an opportunity to shift closer to Rose. She had yet to notice his actions. Until he placed a hand on her exposed knee. She immediately slapped his hand. "Just because your wife isn't here, it doesn't mean you can make moves. You're married for the love of god."

Tom chuckled. "I am well aware that I am still married, Rose."

Her eyes turned to slits. "Then why do you find it okay to have a mistress? Why would you marry someone if you don't love her?"

"That's none of your business."

Rose shifted in her seat to where her face was inches from Tom's. "It is every part of my business. You married my cousin, we are family now." She spat through gritted teeth. "If you don't plan on staying faithful to the mother of your child, then get out of my family's lives." She stood from her seat, leaving Tom to himself. He looked around, making sure no one else had seen the interaction. His pride had been bruised.

She made it to the bar, sitting down onto a stool as the bartender handed her a glass of champagne. She thanked him before sipping from the drink. She wanted nothing more than to not be here. She wanted to be back in her dorm room, studying with her roommates for the exam the next day. She wished she could go back. Her life was perfect back then, peaceful, carefree.

"What are you doing all by yourself?" She turned to the familiar voice. Gatsby slid into the seat beside her.

She sighed before answering. "Clearing my mind."

"Through alcohol I see." Gatsby took the glass from Rose, setting it down on the counter. "Dance with me?"

Rose's eyes never left his. "What about Daisy?"

"I'm asking you, not her." He smiled sincerely. It made Rose's heart flutter like butterfly's were just awakening from their cocoons. She had never felt this feeling before.

Rose stood once her hand was in Gatsby's. They moved to a secluded area of the large home, away from the rest of the crowd. Rose stared down at her feet, trying not to step onto his. One of his broad hands reached up to her face, moving her head to face his. They stared into each others eyes as they danced, a moment much like the one they had in the pool. The song came to a slow end and their bodies were closer than ever. Gatsby lent forward and his lips pressed to the girls. This moment was sweeter than the last. It held more meaning.

As they pulled away, Nick walked towards them. "Rose, you have a phone call." She shared an exchange between Nick and Gatsby, all three confused as to why someone would call her at a home that was not her own.

She excused herself and found the phone as it sat on a thin, round, tall table. "Hello?" She spoke above the cheers and laughter around her.

"Rosie, it's Alice." Her old roommate spoke. Her face softened at the tone of Alice's voice. "Carrie was ran over, she held on as long as she could. She's gone." Rose couldn't find the words to respond. "I tried calling your house but you were never there."

"When's the funeral?" Rose spoke, her voice just inches above a whisper. She questioned if Alice could even hear her.

"Tomorrow at noon. I know it's such short notice but Carrie would have wanted you to be there."

Rose placed a hand on her forehead. Any second she would burst into a fit of sobs. Her best friend had just died, maybe days ago and she was now just finding out. "I'll be there." Her voice cracked.

"Thank you, Rosie." The female's voice matched Rose's. "You remember where the house is?"

Rose nodded. "I remember."

Rose hung up the phone, but clutched it tightly. Her knuckles turned white. Her head hung low as silent tears fell from her eyes. Once she regained her composer, she wiped her face clean and made her way back to Nick; Gatsby now gone.

"What was the call about?" Nick asked. He lent one arm onto the bar counter.

"Carrie died." Rose sniffed. Nick's smile fell, he knew how much she cared for her old roommates, they were like her sisters. "I'm going home to get some rest. The funeral is tomorrow. I need to get there early for Alice."

Nick wrapped his arms around his sister. "Don't hurry home. Take as much time as you need."

"Thank you Nicky." Rose smiled softly before leaving the party and going back home.

~A/N~
Hello lovely readers! I just wanted to make you aware that this story has come to an end. The next chapter will be the finale. I really enjoyed writing this book and i'm sorry for how long it took me to update. Thank you for sticking with me until the end. I hope you loved it as much as I did.

I would like to apologize for how rushed this story seems. A lot of chapters were shorter than I would have liked.

Sincerely yours ~ Miriah.