Chapter Fourteen

The two stepped out of the pool together. Gatsby wrapped a towel around Rose's shoulders and proceeded to dry himself with another.

Rose's mind raced about the events that just took place only minutes ago. She was confused. But only one thing stuck in her mind, Daisy. If he was in love with Daisy, why would he kiss her?

Gatsby walked past the girl, but soon stopped when he realized that she was not following. He turned to look at her. "Are you alright?"

Rose bit her lip before responding. "I'm perfect." She smiled, forcing her questions to the back of her mind.

She caught up to her friend and the two walked side by side back into the vast mansion. "I'm having that party I invited you and your brother too tonight. Will you be attending?" Gatsby questioned.

Rose tucked some stray hair behind her ear. "Yeah." She nodded. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Great." Gatsby smiled at her. "I will be expecting you to save me a dance."

Rose smiled up at the taller figure. "We'll have to see about that."

Rose walked off, going to change back into her day clothes, then planning to go back to her house to see if Nick was home yet.

Rose entered her home, searching for any sign of Nick being inside. Just as she was about to walk to his room, the front door opened and Nick stepped inside. "Rose?" He called through the house. She stepped into his line of view. "Why is your hair wet?"

"I went swimming." Rose responding, smiling to her brother a she went to the kitchen. "Do you want anything."

"No thanks." Nick chose not to question Rose on where she went swimming or on how she got home without a car.

Rose took out a pan and searched through the fridge for eggs. "Gatsby is having a party tonight." She closed the fridge door with her foot. "Are you going?"

"I'm not sure." Nick hesitated.

"Why not?" Rose pulled out a bowl from a nearby cupboard.

Nick sat down in the living room. Rose still had a clear view of him. "I need some time to myself tonight."

"Please come, Nick?" Rose questioned, staring over at her brother. "You don't have work tomorrow. You can have tomorrow all by yourself."

He glanced up at her. "Fine."

Rose smiled brightly. "Thank you, Nicky. You won't regret this."

--

Rose and Nick walked arm in arm to Gatsby's lavish home. As always, thousands of people were already there. The two made their way to the pool side, where only hours ago Rose stood, lips locked to the great Gatsby's.

Rose and Nick were surprised to see Daisy and Tom already at the party. The two walked to their cousin and her husband. before they could speak, Gatsby walked over, followed by another man. "May I introduce Senator Gulick?" Gatsby turned to the Senator. "This is Mr. Carraway, his sister, and Mrs. Buchanan..."

Daisy smiled. "Delighted.

"And Mr. Buchanan..." Gatsby hesitated for a moment. "The polo player."

Tom was quick to object. "Oh no. Not me."

The Senator held out a hand to Tom, shaking his hand and sending a nod. "Always a pleasure to meet a Buchanan."

Gatsby bid the Senator farewell, while Tom glowered to Daisy. "I'd rather not be the polo player."

Rose rolled her eyes, faking a smile in Tom's direction. "Oh Tom... You should be proud of your achievements."

Before Tom could respond, Gatsby cut in, addressing the group. "May I show you around?" He guided the group down the stairs. "You must see the faces of a lot of people you've heard of."

"We don't go around much. I don't think I recognize a single person..." Tom looked around him.

Gatsby spoke up. "Perhaps you know that lady there?" He pointed across the room.

Daisy took Gatsby's arm. Rose and Tom went tense. "It's Marlene Moon... I adore her pictures..."

Gatsby lead daisy towards the silent film star. Tom lent to Nick and Rose. "I'd rather not be the polo player."

--

Tom, Daisy, Nick, Rose, and Gatsby sat at an elaborately conceived dinner table, watching the band.

"These things excite me." Daisy spoke to her cousins.

"Mr. Buchanan, would you mind, terribly?" Gatsby looked to Daisy.

Tom looked to Rose for a second, catching her smile as she conversed with her cousin and brother. "Of course not; I think I can keep myself amused."

Gatsby stood, taking Daisy with him. Tom, Nick and Rose sat not speaking to one another. Rose couldn't help to think that her suspicions about Gatsby's feelings for Daisy weren't just suspicions after all.