Chapter 4

July 12th 2012...

Nicki stood in their fairly modern kitchen and sipped her coffee as she scrolled through the article she was reading. She sensed his presence as he walked in it didn't bother looking up or acknowledging him.

"Morning," He said as he worked on making his own coffee seeing as she hadn't done it for him like she normally did. He got a simple response back, but that was all she offered. "What are you up to today?" He asked as a way of making conversation, knowing she didn't have any intention of doing so.

"Might go and look for a job, I'm sick of being stuck here," She said, finally tearing her attention away from her phone. 

He stopped what he was doing at her statement and focussed his attention more onto her. "If you want a job, you know I can get you one at the office,"

"I dont want one at the office. We can't spend 24/7 together , Derrick." She said before tipping the rest of her coffee down the sink, no longer wanting it.

"And why not? Do you not like spending time with me?" He moved closer to her and she just watched.

"I should be asking you that. You spend enough time at work as it is," She said with a shrug. "Don't you think I need something to spend my time doing."

"What's wrong with you?" He asked with a frown. "You've recently been so off with me and I don't even understand why? Is it that artist you've been hanging out with,"

She rolled her eyes. "Leave him out of this Derrick." He began walking to get out of the kitchen but he followed and grabbed her arm. "Get off me." She spoke calmly but the anger was evident.

"No. not until you tell me what your problem is. You don't talk to me at all and then you just have these mood swings and expect me to know what's wrong,"

"Maybe because you don't ask Derrick. I have to find comfort in other people because you clearly don't care," she said looking him dead in the eye. "I'm sick of being your trophy, that you only show love and care to when you need it make you look good."

"So you're saying you find comfort in that useless thing that calls himself an artist?"

"I told you to leave him out of this. Worry about yourself Derrick,"

"Well go and see him then." He let her arm go and she just shook her head before wiping the one tear that had managed to escape out of anger.

"Maybe I will." With that she walked out of the house with her keys and slammed the door behind her.

Derrick just pinched the bridge of his nose and decided to leave her to have a chance to cool down. He wasn't in the mood to argue with her any further so had decided to just leave it there. He was sure that she'd be home by the time he finished work and that they would be able to sort it out, so he just finished making his coffee before heading out for work...

Nicki had made sure to text Drake to make sure he was awake and luckily he was. It wasn't long that she was knocking on his door as she wiped away the last of her tears that she knew were soon to return.

He answer the door in some white Calvin Klein boxer briefs and a plain white tee. She just looked up at him and after one look at her he opened her arms out for an embrace. She walked into them and rested her head on his chest. He kissed her temple before closing the door and just holding her for a moment.