10 (Rewritten 31/12/2021)

Skaii inhaled softly as she slid onto the plush cushion that was in the office. This was her go-to chair to cry, to eat, to sleep, and also to give the head of the science her monthly report from the senior students.

She glanced around, apart from the steaming cocoa on the almost empty table in front of her, there was no indication that anyone else was in the room. The screams of the outside world were nothing but a muffle and the room was dimly lit from the sunshine shining through the cracks in the window.

There were piles of books on the shelves behind her that weren't there the last time she was in there. Skaii cringed.

This man was dedicated to multitasking.

Just then, the door flew open and the owner of the office scrambled in, scraping a large spoon of noodles into his mouth from a plate in his grip. Skaii chuckled,

"I can't believe you're still on this noodle thing," Skaii spoke up, a fit of coughs from Mr. Valentino followed her words. He switched on the lights in the room, his eyes grew wide.

"Hi, Mr. Valentino." She greeted with a smile the man.

"Skaii," he cleared his throat and rubbed his chest, trying to mull over some of the noodles that were still there. He made his way over to his seat behind the desk quickly. "I didn't know you were coming back so soon."

"I didn't either." She shrugged and sat up more comfortably.

He frowned slightly. "Still bitter at home I see." He knew from what Skaii told him, that life at home wasn't good but she never specified.

Skaii gave him a small smile. "More than you know sir."

He nodded, not asking for more. Skaii sat there watching him eat in silence, he didn't ask if she wanted anything to eat. He knew how it worked with her. She would get something early from the cafeteria and have it in his office, even before he finished classes.

This was her routine since her first year at Trinity Vale. He was the only person in the entire school who she willingly sit and listen to. Talk to.

Mr. Valentino hated human interaction as much as she did, so she took a liking to him. That and his never-ending laughter and the stories he shared that took her pain away. 

"Skaii," he said after a while. She glanced up at him curiously. He removed his glasses from his face, revealing his dark brown eyes.

"Did you know that the blonde duo heads the cheer team now?"

Kelly and Melinda. Predictable, they were the ones to cause trouble within the team and with the headmistress and the ones to judge the other girls while cheering as if they were the ones who choreographed.

"They're terrible." Skaii simply said.

"That's been clear." Mr. Valentine nodded.

"There's no reason for me to try to take back a team I can't do a thing for. I can't cheer in this state." She was supposed to be sad, the pain of missing pompoms was there but she was more concerned for her health than anything else. Cheer Nationals aren't until another six months, they can survive without her for a few more weeks.

"So since,"

Oh no...

She knew what would follow once Mr. Valentino began.

He chuckled knowingly when he saw the look on her face but continued anyway. "Since you won't be cheering, why don't you help me with the juniors?"

Skaii smiled slyly. "You've been asking me this since the last semester Mr. Val."

"Yeah, but now you have some extra time and the juniors are really lagging in Biology. You're the best student in this entire school." He explained, hoping Skaii would see some sense to what he said.