12 Rewritten (02/13/2022)

Third person, Emma's POV

***

"Emma?" A soft voice called out, it was distant but it was there.

Emma sat up straight, slightly on edge, no one else should be out here, and she was there for that exact reason. Now her anxiety was making her imagine things that aren't really happening. Yeah, it was definitely her mind playing tricks on her because she could swear she heard Skaii Holder calling her name.

"Emma!" The voice was louder this time, and a bit more impatient. Emma slowly turned from her spot at the tree her back was pressed against. At that moment, the glaring sun pierced her eyes through the dancing leaves above her. From the only tree on the football field. She was currently hiding from all of Trinity Vale that wanted her head for not gossiping with them about Skaii.

And here was the girl of the hour, in the flesh, standing over her with her arms crossed. So she thought she was hearing correctly, she thought.

"Skaii? Hi, what are you doing here?" She stammered out as she stood, dusting off her butt in the process. She half expected Skaii to yell or reply with some snide comment like what does it matter to you? But she didn't, and what she said surprised her.

"Do you have a car?"

A car?

"What?" Emma hadn't seen this girl for almost a week, no matter how hard she looked for her and approached her out of nowhere just to find out if she had a car? She had to question her hearing again.

"Do you have a car?" Skaii repeated, her tone a little forceful, possibly from having to repeat herself, Emma deduced.

"Yes, of course." She nodded almost instantly, but confusion still etched itself in her skin, forming creases on her forehead.

"Let's go." Skaii twisted on her feet and headed towards the student parking lot. Emma couldn't quite figure out what was happening but if there was one thing she knew, it was that the Skaii Holder she met weeks ago wouldn't be forceful to have her in her presence. Something must have changed.

"Go? Where? Off campus?"

When Skaii didn't stop or answer her, she knew that she was headed towards a demerit in her first semester of school. If her mother found out about this, she would throw a fit. Her mother moved to this town for a clean slate and to find out that her daughter was playing hookie.

Let's just say she would be on house arrest for a month, and that's the minimum. No amount of adoration she had for Skaii was worth that punishment.

You're still following her. Emma chastised herself. Just like the bristle afternoon wind, Skaii's feet danced as she moved, her motions defiant. Emma didn't know why her body continued to betray her thoughts, but it did, right up to her pulling the keys to her white camry parked in the corner of the parking lot.

They slowly boarded. Emma was still shocked that Skaii approached her and was currently sitting in her car but she pushed the feeling aside and with all the courage she could muster, she asked, "Where are we going?"

"I really need to get out of here and if your nonexistent lunch mates were anything to go by, you do too."

Ouch, it was obvious that she was a loner but still, low blow. Emma swallowed as she started up the car. It really was in Skaii's DNA-the snarkiness. With so much broken, Skaii managed to be mean. She didn't know if she should bow down to this girl for her brass or scream at her.

She chose neither, but to simply do as Skaii instructed. Because, one, she really needed to get away from the drama of this prim and proper high school and two, spending the afternoon with Skaii Holder couldn't be so bad. There were things that she was itching to find out about her.