Chapter 7

Note: Wassup everyone! Guys, I seriously need a bonus scene. If I don't have one, I'll just create one, but the chapter will be short because if I have to think of one, I won't have as much time to write it. It can be anything, like a random oneshot or something. See you soon! 

In the mess hall, the cadets ate funny tasting (to Ignatius) gruel. The little demon craved meat, but none was seen. He wouldn't eat human flesh anymore. The group had met two other commoners, who were Atlas, a freckled, red haired boy who was on the chubby side and Seraph, a lean, black haired, olive skinned youth. Of the two, the demon thought Seraph would survive longer. They had been talking for a while, but Ignatius tuned the sounds out, for they disrupted the carnivore's desperate search. 

"I can't believe that they're conscripting dwarves into the army! If put in the cavalry divisions; or God forbid the Celestial Corps, they wouldn't even touch the sides of their stallions!" Atlas said laughing at his own joke. No one else did, especially Fletcher and Seraph, who frowned disapprovingly.

Just then, a dwarf entered the room. "Speak of the devil!" Atlas gasped. But all eyes were trained on the demon waddling beside him. It was a Golem, class eight. It was like a rock Jotun, and very small. It probably would double in size in two years. Ignatius knew this from experience, he once knew a golem and he ended up ten feet tall! This one also had tufts of fluff, green moss. Surprisingly, the dwarf had a beard and moustache, they probably came out earlier for dwarves. The boy and his Golem sat down on a completely vacant table, away from the humans. Fletcher stood up, starting towards the dwarf's table. 

"What are you doing?!?" Rory hissed, grabbing Fletcher's forearm. 

"I'm gonna ask him to sit with us," Fletcher replied coolly, pulling his arm from Rory's grip. Ignatius hopped to his master's neck, the imp's favourite spot. For some reason, it was more comfortable than his old orcish master's.

Fletcher plopped down across from the dwarf, jarring Ignatius badly. 

"Hello there. My name's Fletcher. Yours?" Master said. 

"Othello." The dwarf grunted dismissively, obviously trying to get Fletcher and Ignatius to bug off. Fletcher pretended not to notice.

"Why don't you sit over there with us? There's plenty of room." 

"Thanks, but the others wouldn't want to. They think I'm- we're a joke." Othello said nodding toward his demon as he spoke. His tone was friendlier this time, as if warming up to them.

"It's all right, were fine with you. I even met a dwarf in Corcilium. He gave me this." Fletcher said, showing the card Athol had given him.

"Put that away!" Othello hissed abruptly. "That mustn't be seen here!" Fletcher complied as Ignatius fell asleep. They shifted tables, and began talking, barely heard in the demon's subconscious mind.

"Who is that?" A voice said.

"Sir Ignatius. He basically won the first Orc war!" Another one said. 

"That's it. I'm calling my demon Ignatius" Fletcher said.

When Ignatius woke up they were in a huge classroom with Arcuturus at the head. The scarred man explained to the students about mana, and how demons had their own reservoirs that could be used up, but replenished naturally over time. 

"The first technique you will learn is creating a Wrydlight." Arcuturus said, a ball of blue light flaring into existence before the students eyes. They all gasped in awe. The demon noticed that Sylva was missing. Fletcher's memories told him that she had left with Isadora, Tarquin and the other nobles.

"Feel the connection with your demons. Grasp it and enter their mana pools, take it, and push it through your index finger." The battle scarred veteran announced. Examining Fletcher's memories further while he took Ignatius' mana, he discovered that Atlas had a Lutara called Barbarous and Seraph acquired a Barkling named Sliver, caught by Lovett and Arcuturus. Ignatius noticed Fletcher about to etch a spell, but sensed he didn't have an idea what was going on. 

"Fletcher, channel it through your finger, not to." Arcuturus scolded, but sounded somewhat proud. "What Fletcher just did was a few lessons in advance, it's called etching. Drawing the right symbol with a powered up finger along with mana in both things can cause an effect. It's called spellcraft, my specialty due to the fact that Canids have high mana reserves." He continued, petting Sacharissa's furry head. "Watch." The Captain said, powering his finger and drawing a zigzag, effortlessly conjuring a lightning bolt that crackled and hit the wall. "Now make some Wrydlights!"

The class buzzed with activity while students tried to form their own orbs. Fletcher, Othello, and Seraph were the only ones who could make orbs and hold them for ten seconds. Ignatius smiled smugly at the other demons, his master, -not theirs- had been the best at spellcraft. He was even better than the the handsome boy and stout dwarf! It was so exciting. Igniatus thought as he sighed happily.