Chapter 19

Note: Hello! I'm soooooo sorry for never updating The Demon! I've just been busy with my other books (check them out! If ya liked this, you'll definitely love Ausar the Vile-Hero no more and The Dark Tower!) and everything else. But now, I can finally post this. Hope you love it!

"Ignatius! Flame!" Fletcher called to the imp. Ignatius opened his beak, infernal substance pouring out and scorching the rogue Shrike as it came through the crackling, violet portal with outstretched claws. Ignatius hissed at the other demon warning it not to come to their world. The great bird flew back a few inches, retreating from the sparks. 

Moments after the fiery exchange, Tarquin's Demon, Trebius, attacked the Shrike. One of Trebius' heads struck right, the other left, and one stayed back, swaying to keep its tempo. Dodging frantically, the wild Demon dodged in vain. The  Hydra's left head found its mark, piercing the feathery hide of the bird. Ignatius glanced at Tarquin, who was smirking, with annoyance. Ignatius could've taken the Shrike by himself, but the pesky Noble had intervened. Ignatius burped some fire again, and this time it burned the Shrike's wing. Trebius missed for the feathered demon retreated due to its burn. Taking the opportunity, Ignatius launched another burning tornado and the Shrike fell back to the portal that was barley being held open by the unconscious Captain on the tiled floor. The dimensional portal winked out of existence as the beast returned into the Ether, and the cadets sighed in relief. Not all of them though. One was bellowing in a rage.

"Why'd you do that, pleb?" Tarquin bellowed at Ignatius' master. "That Shrike was going to be my next Demon!" The enraged noble clenched his fists in anger. "You'll pay for that." Tarquin snarled. Trebius matched his master's expression, saliva dripping from his razor fangs. In seconds, Othello and Solomon had joined Fletcher and Isadora and Tamil had joined her brother in the standoff. Ignatius growled angrily, gouts of flame jetting from his smoky nostrils. 

"Stop! What are you doing?!" Sylva cried. Sariel bounded across the chamber, finally leaping in between both parties. "You shouldn't be Duelling, you could lose your demons!" Sariel growled in assent, furious snarl frozen on her graceful maw. They all shrank back a little at the Elf's outburst, but not enough to prevent a duel. Ignatius sensed it. Fletcher sensed it. They all did, even Sylva. 

Just then, Arcturus burst into the room, a puffing, red faced Scipio by his side. 

"What is going on here?" Arcturus called out as he strode into the room, Sacharissa trailing the captain. "I hope you weren't thinking of Duelling," Arcturus scolded. "You risk losing everything you hold dear." Ignatius remembered his old Master. He couldn't allow that to happen again. "You of all people should know that, Sylva. If you lose your Canid, we will not gift you another." The young elf hung her head in shame, but Ignatius sensed gratitude from Master that the elf had risked so much for them. Behind them, Tarquin scoffed quietly, probably disregarding everything Arcturus had said. He proceeded to whisper another snide remark in sister's ear. However, this time, the captain noticed the action.

"Do you really want that, Tarquin? The son of Lord Forsyth expelled from Vocans, forced to bribe your way into a high-ranking position?" Arcuturus called out, tearing the noble's attention to the new speaker.

"Pocket change," Tarquin replied nonchalantly, "and half nobles. Am I right, Arcuturus?"

Arcuturus' fists balled suddenly, his calm expression falling away like a discarded mask, unearthing pure rage. Sacharissa responded to the jibe similarly, preparing to pounce. Ignatius could almost see the scene unfold in front of his eyes, the black Canid mauling Tarquin's face and ripping out his throat. Crimson liquid running along the cold stones. And the thing was, Ignatius didn't mind. No one liked the brat anyway.

However, luckily for Tarquin, Scipio rushed into the room, flanked by two students bearing a white stretcher. Scipio's face was  more flushed than Arcturus', but out of exhaustion rather than anger. The scarlet faced Provost puffed a bit, then regained composture. 

"I came as soon as I heard! We should get Captain Lovett to the infirmary immediately for treatment." 

"Very well." Arcturus replied, calm once more. After casting a final glance at his fallen comrade, then turned to Scipio. "I will be leaving now. Would you mind if I took Fletcher here along with me?"

"Of course," The Provost replied distractedly, motioning for the cadets to bring Captain Lovett to the infirmary. Ignatius felt confused - what was Arcturus doing? And what had Tarquin meant about 'half nobles'? The Salamander wasn't granted time to think, as he and Fletcher departed the room hastily, following Arcuturus and Sacharissa out of the room. 

When they finally reached the captain's office, Arcturus paused, looking around almost imperceptibly. He was clearly on guard for someone - or something. Maybe looking for eavesdroppers or prying eyes. Was a secret about to be shared?

The captain opened the door and ushered Fletcher inside. Then he marched around to the other side of the desk and sat. "YYou should sit down, Fletcher." Ignatius' master complied, and Ignatius curled around his neck, soaking up the cozy warmth. Arcturus' office was the polar opposite of Scipio's - Glacial in temperature. Beside the captain, Sacharissa curled up on the floor, unhindered by the frigid temperature thanks to her thick, black fur. Ignatius also noticed several loose sheets of paper on the oaken desk - lists, it appeared, although Ignatius couldn't identify the contents. When Fletcher noticed them, his heart sank. The lists contained names, one all beginning with Fletcher, and the other ending with Wulf, Berdon's surname and Fletcher's chosen name.  

"Fletcher, do you know why I chose to sponsor you?" The captain inquired.

"Um, because I already owned a Demon so you wouldn't have to capture one for me?" Fletcher guessed. Arcturus shook his head.

"I wouldn't mind capturing a demon, for Sacharissa is quite adept at hunting in the ether. Although that Barkling proved to be a tricky customer, didn't he, Sacha?" He said as he  ruffled the Canid's fur affectionately. 

"Was it because of my rare Salamander demon?" 

"No, although that is an added bonus." Fletcher shivered slightly from the cold, despite Igntius's warmth. 

"My bravery in the face of certain death?" Fletcher said, half jokingly in an attempt to lighten the mood. Arcuturus smiled wanly, then replied.

"Some would say that you made the wrong decision there," Ignatius felt a twinge of disappointment from his master. "But men and women who take risks are often the most successful ones. If you play your cards just right, you may join their ranks in the future." Fletcher's mood took a suddenly turn, feeling slightly proud from the praise. 

"There is a story you should know," Arcturus said, remembering the events that changed his life.

Note: Whew! I'm finally done! Sorry for never updating, school kept me busy. But now that it's over, I'll try to write 1 chapter (For different books) every 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for reading!

T